Judderinig & Shaking?

ronwil

Judderinig & Shaking?

Post by ronwil »

Earlier posts talk about shaking (Isra 9/22) and juddervision (Damien64 9/22). I'm not sure what juddering is but here is my problem. I installed the newly received software this week end. My problem in the virtual cockpit is two fold: one, the view will freeze when panning - the freezing lasts approximately 3 - 5 second then panning continues, repeats, etc. The view also "shakes" most of the time. That is, it rocks left to right as I move about the cockpit - I'm not sure if this is the judder Damien64 referenced but it sounds similar. Anyway, I have invoked the Tip & Trips recommendations regarding frame rate (set for 38 now and ActiveCamera regarding disabling head latency. None of the other Tip & Tricks appears to apply to my configuration. Otherwise, my system is a P4 EE, 1g memory, ATI Radeon XT 800 Platinum Edition and a HP flat panel monitor that works perfectly in FS2004 in every respect. I have played around with various setting but to no avail. Also, I have run the program and game in a lighted room and a dark room but lighting seems to have no impact. I would be grateful for some coaching. Thanks,
Barred

Re: Judderinig & Shaking?

Post by Barred »

Ron give this a try.
Have the camera about 25" (65cm) away and on top of your monitor.

If you are using the Vector on a TrackHat try covering the reflective area of the cap or try another relativly flat peaked cap.

Move the cap further back on your head so that the 3 reflectors are facing the camera so that if you were to run an imaginary beam comming from the reflectors they would point at the camera.

remember that if a reflector goes edge on to the camera it (the camera) will lose track whilst the reflector is edge one.

Now for the juddering, is it fluid or stop go after trying the above?

If it is smooth then it probably is tracking your head movement. I am not being funny here, but you never notice how much you actually move your head small amounts as your brain steadies your vision. After a while it will go as you get used to using the TIR. Try to relax especially your neck because it is natural to tighten your neck at first to 'control' your head which really is not necessary.

If you are finding the movement too fast for you slowing the ratio of head to 'game head' might help. To do this just follow these simple instructions as it is not hard once you know how.

Open your software for TIR (4.1 build 27 is the latest) and open the 'Profiles' tab.

Select the profile you want to edit in the 'Available Profiles' window, then click the 'Edit' button.

Make sure you have the 'Motion' panel open and click 'Edit Yaw'.

A window should pop up that has a v shaped curve. This curve is what controles the ratio of your head and the game head.

At the top on the right there is 2 arrows next to 'Shift Entire Curve'. Click the down arrow 3 times and you should notice the curve come down. You should notice that the centre becomes flat, that has an added benefit in giving you a flat spot so some movement is not transfered to the game.

With 'ALL' showing in 'Copy Curve To Axis' (bottom left) click 'Copy'. This will copy your curve to all the the axis.

If the movement is now too slow you can always move the curve up and copy to the axis again.

If you do not feel comfortable to adjusting the curve you will find my slowed IL2 profile on http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/04- ... files.html (thanks Warren).
ronwil

Post by ronwil »

Barred, thanks for your quick reply. I tried your suggestions and there is no change. The camera is on top of my monitor and was already positioned almost exactly 25" from my head. I also tried moving the hook-on device from my TrackHat to another non TrackHat to validate my changes. I moved the TrackHat further back on my head and tried keeping my head as still as possible. I'm using the last official build 4.1 build 26, not the beta. I followed your instructions meticulously regard adjust the curve - click down three times, copying, etc. When I went back into the game nothing changed as far as I could see. Even when I tried to keep my head absolutely still, the FS2004 cockpit screen shakes as though somebody grabbed it by the left and right edges of the screen and made role axis type inputs but in a jerky kind of fashion. Is it suggested to try the beta version of the software? I'll take a look at your slowed IL2 curve. Other ideas? Thanks,
Barred

Post by Barred »

I would give the build 27 a try (you never know). The other thing that I would sugest is to try the light filtering but keep it under 200.

If that fails then I would sugest sending Rick an email with your forum name, real name, TIR serial number and a link to this thread to give him some idea of what you have tried.

Good Luck.
il2user

Post by il2user »

Have you tested TIR outside FS2004? I think a good way is to Edit a profile so that you have Gauges, Heads and Tracking windows open. See how different axis behave when you move your head. Is that smooth? Are there any other green/red dots than your reflecting dot? Even if there aren't any lights, there could be reflections from shiny objects etc.

When you turn your head, does the tracked dot stay totally within Tracking window? If it doesn't, that easily causes tracking problems. If you unplug/replug the USB cable, does that change anything?
sclincoln

Post by sclincoln »

I've noticed the same kind of shuddering problems recently. I had it for a while, then it went away, now it's back again. Whenever this happens, I've noticed in the Tracking View that the edges of the vector clip surfaces are kind of "blurry". That is to say that there is strong pixelation around the edges that jumps around as if there isn't enough anti-aliasing on. I realize that's not actually the problem but that's what it looks like. When I don't have the problem, the VC surfaces look just fine. It doesn't seem to matter what type of lighting there is in the room, what I do to the Light Filtering or Preferred Object Size or anything else that I try.
il2user

Post by il2user »

I get this same pixelation problem sometimes and unplugging and replugging the cable always fixes it in my PC.
cyanide

Post by cyanide »

Yup,

this sounds familiar: had it a couple of times. Sometimes had to unplug the device a couple of times to make it go away.

This usually happens right after a cold boot though......