to track a baton?

projet35

to track a baton?

Post by projet35 »

Hello,

I would like to capture the movment (position and rotation) of a conductor's baton. This baton is used to touch a 3D virtual object projected through a screen with rear projection.
The user is in a dark room but there is some light from the projection.

The baton is thin, 30-40cm long and a little bit curved. I would prefer to use passive markers but no reflective balls (estheticism...)

Is the OptiTrack system adapted to my issue?
How many cameras should be used?

Thank you!

Valentine
Birch

Re: to track a baton?

Post by Birch »

That sounds like a cool project, here are the answers to your questions :

The OptiTrack system is capable of tracking active LEDs and passive reflective markers. If you want to extract the 3D position of the baton you might want to consider using the vector tracking feature of the OptiTrack SDK, it requires 3 markers (active or passive) in a specific configuration and only requires 1 camera.

If you wish to use other tracking configurations, then the follow FAQ entry applies :

22. Is there any extra processing that occurs when using multiple cameras?

A: The marker information delivered by the SDK is not in X,Y,Z physical coordinate space, nor is the data from one camera correlated to data from another. The markers are delivered in X,Y imager pixel coordinates. So, there is no extra processing that is required for the basic marker acquisition when using multiple cameras. However, if you want to extract X,Y,Z coordinates from a marker which is seen by two cameras at the same time, then you will need to write an algorithm to resolve that information from the available data. --Note : You can use the Vector Tracking capability of the SDK to extract X,Y,Z,Roll,Pitch,Yaw information from a single cluster of three markers in a known configuration using a single camera.