TrackIR with Fresnel lens ?

bpiret

TrackIR with Fresnel lens ?

Post by bpiret »

I haven't risked buying a TrackIR so far because I play games with a Fresnel lens in front of my monitor. I don't know if the TrackIR's "camera" will work through the lens, and I believe that I can't use the TrackI on the top of the Fresnel lens because, when I play, the Fresnel lens is very close to my face (not more than a few inches away), in order to maximize my field of view.

So, does the TrackIR work through a Fresnel lens ? If not (i.e. if I have to put the TrackIR on the top of the Fresnel lens), what has the minimum distance between the TrackIR and the user to be (taking into account the improved field-of-view of the TrackIR 4) ?
Barred

Re: TrackIR with Fresnel lens ?

Post by Barred »

The Camera sits on top of your monitor and comes with some refective dots of various shapes and sizes. These dots go onto your mic, hat ect. If you can wear a cap as well as use the fresnel lens then the vector would give you more axis (6 instead of 2) and also more precision in the camera's tracking if the sim/game does not use the 6DoF.

The main thing that might exclude using the lens is how it might reflect eronius light into the camera.

I hope that helps.
rodom

Post by rodom »

Couldn't of said it better myself Barred.
Norman_Knight

Post by Norman_Knight »

If the screen / lens is to close in front of you, you could try to track from above. For siple dot tracking with 2DOF it should work. 6DOF isn't good this way because the movement axis would not fit the TrackIR axis that you can not remap or invert. If remaping axis to axis and inverting would be possible, in theory you could track 6DOF from the side, top or back ...
mmed

Post by mmed »

I have mounted my Track-Ir unit on the wall behind me. It works great with 6DOF. But I guess most of the users don't have the wall close enough.
Projecticon

Post by Projecticon »

Do you wear your hat backward to achieve this?
Norman_Knight

Post by Norman_Knight »

I just checked it again and saw: You can invert the axis! So you can wear the hat backward and use the 6DOF with tracking from behind of course
Barred

Post by Barred »

quote:Originally posted by Norman_Knight:
I just checked it again and saw: You can invert the axis! So you can wear the hat backward and use the 6DOF with tracking from behind of course You can but it probably would take 2 people to centre ect., especially at first. I know some people who have done this but I can not remeber who. There was a thread about mounting the camera behind you, I can't find it at the moment but I will continue looking.