Upgrade path TR3Pro to Latest

sr71_sr71

Re: Upgrade path TR3Pro to Latest

Post by sr71_sr71 »

("that totally makes sense. a complete 6DOF package. but for a short term, allowing purchase of just the new tracking unit for say 140$ would be kind of nice for us....maybe even encourage some of us with TIR3/VE to purchase your new product. (i for one would. since i really dont have money problems. just a problem with feeling like a sucker)")

I feel the same, its not for lack of money.

Speaking openly.

I believe we are all keen to keep investing in this product, however it would be nice to see a little of the same in return.

It would also be a further insentive for your sales team to play with, for not only existing but potential investors. "After an initial purchase, we/they are then looked after with a special discount."

Its a great product, and we are all keen to be part of its growth. If there was a form of insentive for current investors, I would more than likely buy a unit tomorrow.

(said quietly - what if this was not the only product on the market?)

I hope it makes sense. It's getting late here (1am), so I might be typing rubbish, but its kinda what I am thinking/feeling.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I understand where you are coming from. In our view, our duty is to improve our products all the time, so when you make a purchase the money goes into building new stuff. I believe we have demonstrated this with the continued improvement of the TIR line.
Now, some people obviously don't like us improving the hardware, which I personally don't understand. It is your prerogative to upgrade or not. I prefer to look at it like this; if we only did the TIR 1 and then waited an "appropriate" number of years for the TIR 2, say 3, then we would only have that level of technology now, instead we have 4, which by any measure is vastly superior. Some people still have the original unit and version 2, that is up to them. Their purchases and others contributed to the development of the 3 and the 4 so that those that wish to upgrade can, and those that come into our industry can get the best experience possible. Imagine how small our community would be if we were still selling only version 2. We will continue to make the best products we can, I hope that you enjoy what we will develop with the sales from version 4!
ZyronEnder

Post by ZyronEnder »

When Nvidia releases a new top of the line video card (6 months after their last one!) no one expects them to give a discount because your existing card is an Nvidia. It sucks when your big bucks video card is nolonger the top of the line anymore, but that's life owning a PC!

When you buy pure software packages, you will often find reduced price upgrade offers but I can't think of a hardware product that has ever done this. Manufacturing copies of a hardware product is expensive relative to software alone. Ever gotten a reduced price on a joystick or keyboard or mouse because you already own the same brand?

Anyways, I applaud NaturalPoint for continuing to improve their products and I'm looking seriously at getting a TrackIR4.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Nicley put Zyron. For me the TIR line has been the greatest inovation since the mouse for PC simming.

If I came across a little harsh in my last post in this thread sorry.

As Zyron put said I have not seen a post to Nvidia saying "I am so dissapointed....". I know we all like having the latest and greatest but it is not the hardware companies fault if we have just bought the best at the time and it is upgraded soon after.

As for NP's public relations there are not many companies who's CEO talks to his customers.
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

Hi Folks.

At this stage, a person would not normally write back. However, as I started this topic, I feel it only my duty to end my part in it.

You are all right, I cannot think of any other hardware manufacturer that has given a discount for existing customers. I agree that this might happen in the software world, but not for the hardware.

Therefore � for me � my take back everything that I have written above. And hope that I have not offended anyone with my comments

It�s an excellent product that we all know and love, and most cannot be without. I do not doubt the product and support given in anyway and in fact, I have had no issues to log. But when I have reviewed the forums, they have been of great help.

For me, I will more than likely look to sell my current TrackIR3 Pro, and use that towards a version 4. I am a sucker for Flight Simulator Add-ons, and (deep down) know that TrackIR is a worthy investment.

Its not often someone returns to a topic, holds there hands up and says there wrong, but I am doing just that. Yeah, call me what you like, however I am not a shamed to admit I am wrong.

Keep up the good work with the product, and I look forward to purchasing my new kit shortly.

By the way, I did have one last thing to ask. Do you ever send out product new emails? I was wondering if I missed something, as version 4 did seem to jump out from no where. Where can we look to see what�s in the pipeline?

Many Thanks.

David.
Barred

Post by Barred »

SR71, no offence was taken and I hope the same could be said for my posts.

I know the instant gut feeling could be "but I have only just bought..." maybe I did not feel that way because I went from TIR1 to TIR3 when 3 first came out and did the same with the Vector add on. I could not justify with my family the cost of 2 because a lot was happening at the time.

I am one of those who could not live with out my TIR. I started of with flight sims which to this day is my favorite passtime, now I mainly stay with driving sims (not arcade games) because they are better physio for my legs. The only reason that I mention this is because I canot drive with out my TIR just the same as it was/is for my flight sims and I cant wait for TIR to make a good foothold in FPS as well

The way I see it TIR is worth the �110 or so because the amount of time that I get pleasure from my TIR the price/hour in a year is really nothing

I do feel sorry for those who bought TIR3 in the last couple of months or so as I have had it happen to me before with another product, but what is NP to do? lose revenue for say 3 months because people will stop buying from the time that news of TIR4 is released untill the time it actually goes on sale.

I do not think that NP is making a great deal of money after overheads, enough to survive and develope new products. I expect Jim and the rest of the guys are assembling TIR4's along with their 'normal' jobs. The guys over at NP when I have phoned have always been friendly and never given the impression of "lets get rid of this guy as I am busy" no matter who I have gotten through to.

To me NP is one company that deserves sucsess, not just because of TIR, but how they deal with their customers. I spend a lot of time here because I can and it is my way of saying thank you and because of the great adult community that is here.

So to you all :S!

[ November 11, 2005, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Barred ]
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

Hi Barred, none taken either way

I totally agree with everything you say, I think it�s a fantastic product.

I have to admit that I have actually taken a day off work today, purely to get some time to myself. The wife and 3 kids are out, and I have my flight sim to myself. I found that I need to flight sim as a way to relax and de-stress, as several years ago I lost the plot and found myself on Prozac. So if anything, TrackIR is taking my relaxation that one step further.

I am also taking my PPL in the real world, and TrackIR has done wonders for practicing procedures under MS FS 2004. It gives you the ability to simply look around or over the shoulder, to (say) judge your position to a runway - Fantastic.

Before I found TrackIR, I was researching using multiple machines and monitors. During my research I stumbled on TrackIR, and found that (for me) it was the overall solution. And compared to buying multiple machines and monitors, it is a much cheaper and more advanced solution.

I know that TrackIR is aimed at many other software titles, and has development capabilities also, but it simply works for me with my flight sim so am very happy.

The scary thing is the more I think about the new version, and the more I look at the details on the NP website, I think I am being drawn to making a purchase.

David.

[ November 11, 2005, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: sr71_sr71 ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

Good luck with your PPL. I have my glider licence but I am no longer well enough to go gliding again, so I know the amount of study and practice it takes.

Now to find a good glider sim that incorporates TIR

:S!
Alex
marcocom

Post by marcocom »

WAIT WAIT.

we did not buy TIR3 and want a discount... thats not what we are saying.

we PURCHASED a "VE expansion" where we bought a clip and a software license. most of us had TIR3 already.

only months later , that same product is being asked to be re-purchased with NO IMPROVEMENT OR CHANGES because a tracking unit has been built to better utilize the VE expansion.

maybe if that little clip didnt cost me fifty dollars.... how can u guys defend that??? not even Jim is defending it.
marcocom

Post by marcocom »

quote:Originally posted by Barred:
Good luck with your PPL. I have my glider licence but I am no longer well enough to go gliding again, so I know the amount of study and practice it takes.

Now to find a good glider sim that incorporates TIR

:S!
Alexthe SILENT WINGS simulator is really quite good and supports 6DOF.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03- ... wings.html