Translation Issue

BM357_TinMan

Translation Issue

Post by BM357_TinMan »

This is nice. The extra area that the TrackIR will be able to track in is a great improvement.

BUT

The biggest issue with Vector is the crazy translation issue. Is THIS going to be addressed? Until it is, vector is really limited to looking forward. It works great forward, but turn your head too far to the right or left and things get a bit wonky..

Please fix THIS....or let us know it is being worked on diligantly.
Jim

Re: Translation Issue

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Could you please be a bit more specific? What happens when you translate? Does it lose tracking data?
BM357_TinMan

Post by BM357_TinMan »

No, most of the time, it tracks pretty well. What I mean is, the relative axis should translate with the perspective orientation of the in game head.

so when you are "looking back" in the game, you can lean the correct way and your head will lean the correct way.

Right now the orientation of the lean, move forward and backward and tilt axis is static so that no matter what way your in game head is facing if you lean or move to the left, the virtual head will lean/move to the left relative to the orientation of the original axis direction orientation.

These axis should translate or (rotate if you like) with the rotation of the in game head so that the lean/move is relative to the direction the head is facing in the game not relative always to the front...

sorry if this seems convoluted but it is very difficult for me to explain it, although it is such a simple issue..... lol

[ November 10, 2005, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: BM357_TinMan ]
rodom

Post by rodom »

[ November 10, 2005, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Jim ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

I now know the problem you are referring to. We have looked into this one long and hard and it is a very difficult problem to solve. The main issue is that you can arrive at the same view point by more than one means of movement, therefore your positioning may not in fact be absolute.

We have hired some new people lately, very very smart engineers with lots of math background and we intend on applying their experience to help resolve this issue.

Don't worry, I want it solved too.
BM357_TinMan

Post by BM357_TinMan »

It may take someone with more math background than engineers to solve that one. I expect that the algorithmns and higher order diff eq's needed to calculate the 4 specific differnt variables are varying with respect to each other at the same time would take someone with a PHD in MATHEMATICS not engineering

I am a second year engineering student and am in differential equations now and I know that there is no way I would be able to even approach such a problem...lol

Good luck and I hope you are able to work it out...
Jim

Post by Jim »

Oh, forgot to mention that one has a PHD in math and the other a Masters, we got it covered!
Retro

Post by Retro »

Great, that's been bugging me too..
dickwu

Post by dickwu »

but I want to ask if that is a hardware or software issue? I mean, if the problem can be corrected, can I just upgrade the software (newer algorithm), or I need an upgrade on my hardware, say TrickIR 5?
mach_one_man

Post by mach_one_man »

Please just make it a software update, I really think that if it was added to Track IR 4 it would be another big initiative for people who currently have the TIR3+vector setup to purchase TIR4. Anyway - I hope something can be sorted.

Thanks