Clickable pits + Tir

paddyman

Clickable pits + Tir

Post by paddyman »

"Hey all,

Jyst wondering is it possible to use trackir at the same time as using the track rings?

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02- ... ories.html

Reason been if i want to use the track rings to control the mouse cursor inside a clickable virtual cock-pit, then i could program a button on my hotas for the clicking.

Would the track ir be able to track the mouse (controlled by ring) and be used as normal to look around at the same time?

-
NaturalPoint - Rick
Administrator
Member # 2860
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 07:51 AM -

It would not function as you would like. The rings might confuse the TrackIR as it would think its another target to track and would move the view around in the cockpit.

There would not be a easy way to switch between head tracking and mouse modes."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,

This is something i asked before and got the above reply,am wondering is this the same situation with the new trackir 4?

Or would this new hardware maybe allow for an expansion to do this?? like a "vector Expansion" on tir3.

Tanks
Projecticon

Re: Clickable pits + Tir

Post by Projecticon »

I spoke with Kevin today about this very question. No, you cannot use both at the same time.
dickwu

Post by dickwu »

maybe we can do it later (trackir 5? oh no) if trackir can track two sources at the same time. i.e. trackir can emit and receive two different wave lengths

[ November 16, 2005, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Dick ]
Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock »

Yes, this would be very handy... Wave separation is one thing, another might be spatial separation, especially with vector - "if I see three dots on top, then the fourth one on the bottom must be a mousie "
paddyman

Post by paddyman »

Hey,

Been thinking about this a little more and how about another Tir for reading hand movements for navagating clickable pits.

It can be based on the older Tir technology as all it needs is up,down,left and right, no vector Exp.
Zooming ETC is done through head tracker.

All it needs is to be paired with a ring? that wont conflict or that'll be ignored by the normal Tir.

This wouldn't cost much for R&D since it can just be based on older already designed Tir technology which means it and can be sold cheap as a seperate product that wont interfer with Tir sales.

Also shouldn't take too long to get to the market so will be here in time for LO:black shark.

What people think?