Defining "Center" Position

dickwu

Defining "Center" Position

Post by dickwu »

Well, just got my Track IR 4. First impression, gorgeous design! I like the slim and sleek outlook, and little suprised how small and light it actually is.

This is my first time using Track IR product, very nice! but frankly a little bit off my expectation but I think I need more time to fine tune the response curve to suit my taste. I feel very faint and the neck is a bit stiff after my first time use, hope it'll be better after I've got used to it.

Ok, my first problem after a trial flight, the center shortcut is very handy, it turn the view back to a "center" view, but can I define what the center view is? I think the center view in the cockpit is looking too high, I can't see the instrument panel in my natural position and I need to keep my head down to see them. So before I center my view, I need to put my head up so the center view will turn down after I turn my head down to the natural position. Any other solutions? Thanks
Barred

Re: Defining "Center" Position

Post by Barred »

Welcome to the World of TIR Dick. The stiffness will go after a while. Have a look at these threads and hopefully they might help (and it saves me from typing it all again )
http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... #000002see
http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 2;t=000114

The stiffness and headaches that some newcommers have at first is down to 3 things, setup, too tense (in the neck) and using muscles that a lot of people do not use or to the same degree. It is natural and will go as you get used to using the TIR (I now have mine on most of the time that I am in a game.

Now to wait for my 4

[ November 22, 2005, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Barred ]
dickwu

Post by dickwu »

Hi Barred, thanks for your reply.

I think why my neck is stiffed is because, like you said, I have to force my neck Not to move, because a slightly movement of the head will make the view move quite a bit, I guess it can be reliefed by a better tuning of the respond curve. (deadzone?)

For the headache, similiar to the reason mentioned above, the view is always moving but I have to concentrate on scanning the instrument at the same time, so it's very easy to make me feel fainted.

I have read the posts from your link, it helped me understand more about the setup of TrackIR, thanks. But I think my question is a bit different. I'm more concern on the "centered" view inside Microsoft Flight Simulator, i.e. the position of the view (the camera?) each time you press the "Center" button. I think thte default position is higher than I want, so I was wondering if I can change the default position of the "center" position. Hope I am explaining better in this way
Barred

Post by Barred »

You are making sence Dick. Unfortunatly I do not have that particular sim (one of the few I do not have.) I would have a look in the Flight sim forum as there are some guys in that forum that know their stuff.

As to the speed ingame in relation to the movement of your head there are a few things you can do that would help; one is to open 'edit' for your profile and click on the 'edit curve' and bring it down 3 or 4 clicks then up 1 then 'copy to all'.

The other one is to open the tracking window and click the settings at teh bottom. You should see a slider at about 25, lowering that number will reduce the amount of ingame head movement compared to actual head and right will make it more sensitive.

Good Luck and please if you have any more problems speak out either myself or someone else will help out.

[ November 22, 2005, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: Barred ]
mmed

Post by mmed »

When for example a racing game doesn't allow you to adjust the seat I do the following.

If I want to have the view closer to the windshield I just move my head back before pressing the center key. Then when I move my head to the normal position the view is closer.

[ November 22, 2005, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: mmed ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

quote:Originally posted by mmed:
When for example a racing game doesn't allow you to adjust the seat I do the following.

If I want to have the view closer to the windshield I just move my head back before pressing the center key. Then when I move my head to the normal position the view is closer.Good idea mmed.
You should be able to be a little higher when you centre and then the view would be lower.

It would be an idea though to have a centreing axis to adjust for situations like yours.
steku

Post by steku »

To edit your default head position in FS9 try editing following line in your aircraft.cfg file for that particular aircraft:

[Views]
eyepoint=-8.3, -0.9, 1.45

//Longitudinal, Lateral, Vertical (feet)

Additionally you can move your default head position (valid for one flight) in all three axes via butttons assigned in Assignments menu. I don't remember the exact names but these functions are easy to spot in Assignments.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Thanks steku, that is now another bit of info for me to try and remember

Thanks for answering that for him :S!

[ November 23, 2005, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Barred ]
dickwu

Post by dickwu »

Thanks for all the replies, for mmed's idea, i've already mentioned I'm now using that method to solve my problem in my first post, but that has a problem.

quote:
If I want to have the view closer to the windshield I just move my head back before pressing the center key. Then when I move my head to the normal position the view is closer.
The problem is, when you move back your head to the normal position, the view is closer, because TrackIR is "cheated" by you and think your head is closer so the view is closer as well. but!! it's no longer the "center" position so you can't take the advantages of "deadzone", at this "normal position", even you head move slightly, the view will move as well. In contrast to the "uncheated" view, although your head move, the view will not move as there is a deadzone. Why I insist the view must not move when I'm looking down? because in flight sim, you often need to focus on scanning the instructment panels and you need to click on panels themselves. If the view moves, 1. you'll feel faint easily. 2. you will miss the click spot easily.

For steku's suggestion, it can't completely solve my problem, but it's a good try for me, let me explain it.

Imagine you want to look at something which is below your horizontal eyes level, you have two choices:

1. you squat down until the object is same as your eye level

2. you turn your head down until you can see the object

For steku's suggestion, it's actually using choice No. 1. I.e. It set the vertical hight of the view. However, What I want is actually choice No. 2. i.e. define the center view position, so the "center" view is looking down a bit. I'm not sure if I can convey my idea clearly, hope you guys can understand that, anyway, thanks very much again

[ November 22, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Dick ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

Dick I understand what you would like to do and I think having a user adjustable centre is a good idea for future developement even though only a few might need/want that adjustment (abit like light filtering not many need/use it adjusting but the option is there.)