TrackIR4 pro with dot?

einert

TrackIR4 pro with dot?

Post by einert »

The new version of the TrackIR looks pretty amazing, and some of the demo clips are pretty jawdropping.

My initial need (as in "burning desire") is to use a TrackIR with IL2 PF+FB+AEP. From your list of supported games, I gather that IL2, like most of the games that have been around for some time, supports only yaw and pitch tracking.

Is it possible to use the TrackIR 4 with an old-school dot, and save the aerial and the cap for the times when 6DOF is needed/desired? If I understand the principles correctly, a dot provides sufficient tracking for yaw and pitch.

Why? Well, it's mainly a matter of trying to be a bit discreet with regards to the gadget geekery. I realize that a brand new silver moles in the face can be seen as a bit eccentric by my surroundings, but I think starting to wear a cap in front of the PC would be totally out of character, and it would probably not do wonders for my "down to earth, solid guy, probably sane" image.

"Honey, this is my new playing-with-the-computer hat. From now on, I will need to wear that whenever I need to compute stuff. Yes, a bit like my lucky socks. Now give us a kiss, will you."

Uptight, I know. Give me a break, I'm European.

[ November 22, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: einert ]
Barred

Re: TrackIR4 pro with dot?

Post by Barred »

Hi Einert, the Vector is built into the TIR4 from the info on the TIR4 pages.
With TIR3 the vector makes a big difference in non-6DoF games like IL2:FB+....... because the camers and software still use the 6DoF and only sends the 2 axis data needed by non-6DoF games. What it actually means to the user is that you now need to look in the dirction that you want in the sim and leaning left and right is no longer seen as look left/right.

Personally I prefere the precision given by the Vector even in non-6DoF games.
einert

Post by einert »

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for answering.

I guess I'll just have to swallow my pride and enjoy the added immersion while my surroundings work the narrowmindedness and ridicule out of their systems and learn to accept me in spite of the contraptions strapped to my forehead.
Birch

Post by Birch »

Einert,

If you really want to use dot tracking mode with the TrackIR 4 hardware, it is possible. However, I think that if you try the Vector support with the TrackIR 4 you won't want to go back to the old way.

[ November 28, 2005, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Birch Zimmer ]