TIR3 and FPS RTCW

SteveX

TIR3 and FPS RTCW

Post by SteveX »

Maybe someone can help me. I have a SMARTNAV and the TIR3 software along with the included mouse emulation software. I downloaded the Return to Castle Wolfenstein Demo the other day to try the head tracking out and CANNOT get it to work period.

RTCW is by default a "mouse viewing" FPS. I have searched this forum for help and all I found was instructions to run TIR3, then the mouse emulator, then run the game. When I do this the head tracker will not budge the cursor or move my view in the game.

It moves the cursor when i have TIR3 and mouse emulator running, but when i then run RTCW it refuses to control anything.

I have a WACOM INTUOS II tablet connected to my machine (which is set up to run in mouse mode). I have no standard mouse connected to my computer, no PS2 or USB mouse I use the tablet as my mouse. The tablet will control my view just fine in RTCW, the SMARTNAV / TIR3 / Mouse emulator combo will NOT.

I was planning to buy the full RTCW version, but if i can't headtrack with it, I probably won't buy it, as i have tendinitus problems in my hands and was hoping the TIR3 would allow me to play the game without pain.
Cannon Fodder

Re: TIR3 and FPS RTCW

Post by Cannon Fodder »

You'll need to use the mouse emulator. I tried the smartnav's mous emulator on several fps games and it worked fine with all of them. The trackIR software won't work, but if your looking to just use your smartnav as a regular mouse, it should work fine......at least it did for me.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Steve I run a Wacom Intuos (A4 Mk1) and have not had problems of it interfering with TIR3. I know it is a COM Port conection but I am using the latest driver and normally it is driver conflicts that cause problems.

Good Luck.
SteveX

Post by SteveX »

Thanks for the input guys. I later tried using SMARTNAV + the mouse emulator together. This would move the crosshairs in RTCW, but it does so erratically. The movement is jerky and not smooth.. It moves around the screen in what appears to be a certain amount of distance and then it "jumps", then moves and "jumps".

So I found it to be unuseable with RTCW. I ended up using my Wacom Intuos II tablet and pen to control my view, aim and fire...at least that ended up being more comfortable than using a mouse, as I just let the pen hover over the tablet, I never touch the pen to the tablet and use the pen's rocker switch to fire.
Dolphin Cat

Post by Dolphin Cat »

I'm having the same problem of jerky movement in half life, I think it's because smartnav doesn't use a Windows mouse driver like lots of types of mouse would use, because some of the stage of the smartnav processing is done in a program, I think they have patched in their own kind of mouse drivers which causes incompatibilities in games.
Birch

Post by Birch »

quote:Originally posted by Dolphin Cat:
I think it's because smartnav doesn't use a Windows mouse driver like lots of types of mouse would useThe current SmartNAV software uses the Windows SendInput API call to issue mouse movement commands, if games attempt to read movement data at a lower level than this then the mouse movement will not be detected. In the past we used a custom virtual mouse device but found that there were significant compatibility issues, we also wanted to bring the SmartNAV software into line with the Windows recommended methods for sending input to the system.

[ December 02, 2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Birch Zimmer ]