Vista x64 & driver signing

__s

Re: Vista x64 & driver signing

Post by __s »

acually there is a RTM build of vista already. vincent whole wolrd is watching u, we really depend on u. we prase u. pls give us drivers before hollydays ))

thanx man anyway
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Yes there is, but we won't have any software updates, until after the offical release to the consumer market.
trainguru

Post by trainguru »

Will you be issueing beta drivers in the mean time? I noticed that you released beta drivers for other previous updates.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

When we have some beta software available to post, I'm sure we will post it.
Highwayman

Post by Highwayman »

Any news guys?

Vista is now available to the general public here in Australia... and XP has just had another of it's "episodes". Rather than rebuild it with XP, I'd rather do a fresh install with Vista x64, and believe it or not, the Track IR is the only thing stopping me... I just cant fly without it!
Spong

Post by Spong »

+1 just received TrackIR in the mail, and can't install it on my work or home x64 machines due to the driver signing thing.

How's it coming along - any updates, ballpark ETAs etc you can share?
Spong

Post by Spong »

Turns out there is a way of running unsigned drivers under x64 - sign them yourself:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa906247.aspx

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone that didn't already have the WDK installed (eg, a device driver developer comfortable with code signing and fiddling with INFs). Following those instructions ends you up in "Test Mode", which is prominently displayed in all corners of all screens. Better idea to wait for the official signed drivers.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It is being worked on. As far as a time frame goes, we can't be specific, (as you all know, software commitments are a dangerous thing!), it will come as soon as we can make it happen.
scottm

Post by scottm »

OK, guys. Today Vista is officially available to the public, so I think it's time to rant a bit. This is by far the most viewed thread in the FR board, so I think it's safe to say that there's a non-trivial number of customers that are very interested in this. It's not even a SMOP, how hard can it be?

I looked into this a bit. It doesn't look all that hard, but it is mildly obnoxious. There's a good document that describes it pretty well at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pl ... gning.mspx. Here's my summary:

1) Developer must obtain a software publishing certificate from a certificate authority that supports Windows Vista Kernel Mode Code Signing. There are limited sources for the appropriate certificate, and they aren't cheap.

2) Developer obtains a cross signing certificate from MS at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/d ... scert.mspx (which also doubles as a list of certificate authorities that support Vista Kernel Mode Code Signing).

3) The driver distribution is signed with the SPC and the cross signing cert using SignTool.exe from dev kits.

Extra hoops are available to jump through if you want to use the Windows Logo Program or if your driver needs to load during boot. There's no way for an end user to do this themselves, unless they are inclined to spends hundreds of dollars for the code signing certificate.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

As I recall, the issue with the 64 bit version is not just the standard certification is required, but "kernel" certification.

It is being worked on. As far as a time frame goes, we can't be specific, (as you all know, software commitments are a dangerous thing!), it will come as soon as we can make it happen.