TrackIR 4 Better for Longer Distance?

magma

TrackIR 4 Better for Longer Distance?

Post by magma »

I have a TrackIR 3 Pro and have had it for some time. But I quit using it since I got my projector about nine months ago or so because I could never get a decent setup. Well, I finally decided to give it a go again, and have it mounted above my projector screen, and so far it seems to be working fine, except that it is about seven feet away from me. I am using the vector expansion on the hat which seems to help compared with just a dot.

However, the view seems to jiggle a little bit (using IL-2 Pacific Fighters) if I'm looking a little bit off of center in any direction. Looking straight, it seems pretty rock solid. I've tried increasing the dead zone, but that only hleps when looking straight forward anyways.

I was just wondering if the TrackIR 4 would be better with tracking the smaller dots like this. Previously, my vector would fill in 25-30% of the view of the TrackIR.

Here's my setup - ignore the mess and the dog kennel (yes, I have to share space with the dogs):

[image]http://home.comcast.net/~fighterpilot/t ... jector.jpg[/image]

[image]http://home.comcast.net/~fighterpilot/t ... ector2.jpg[/image]
VincentG

Re: TrackIR 4 Better for Longer Distance?

Post by VincentG »

Well ideally, with the passive IR reflectors, the distance is 2 to 4 feet.

A couple of things to look into.....

You can try mounting the unit to either side of you, at the apprioate distance. There is a setting within the TrackIR software for placement of the unit in this configurtation.

Also, Some people have had sucess in using active LEDs for replacement of the vectors.
magma

Post by magma »

Thanks for replying. As far as mounting to the side, does this mean I have to wear the hat sideways (thought that fad went out in the 90's )???

Also, with active LED's how does this help? Does it make for a larger dot? It seems like the TrackIR tracks my movement just fine, although the dots are a little small as you can see in my pic, but there's nothing else there to clutter it.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

1 - Yep, you would have to wear the hat sideways.........

2 - You could then space out the reflectors slightly so that the unit is detecting them with a greater range of movement. Which sounds like the TrackIR is losing the vector slightly, from that distance, thereby causing the instability.
magma

Post by magma »

Thanks. I have tried it behind me, but I sit too close to the wall, that the vector fills 80% of the screen and so as you know as I move my head it falls out of the range and loses track.

I may work on my own vector to space them out more and double the size of the dots. Of course it will look like mickey mouse ears then, but oh well.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I have seen people use ping pong balls covered with reflective material before, so..........
kevin

Post by kevin »

So... I would move that dog kennel over in front of your desk, place something on top of the kennel to put the TrackIR on, like a book or any flat surface, and give that a shot... should work pretty well.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

what about mounting it behind you and inverting the axes?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Either way will work, it just depends on the amounrt of space that you have to mount the TrackIr unit.