New TrackClip Pro!

VincentG

Re: New TrackClip Pro!

Post by VincentG »

We should have more information posted with the next few days.
popabawa

Post by popabawa »

I see the TrackClip pro has appeared on the website for order! It looks great, I'm definately interested

I have a couple of questions...

1) From the product page on the website, it seems to suggest it works only with Creative Labs headsets?

"TrackClip� PRO, a new accessory which can easily attach to any of Creative Labs' popular headsets"

2) What the heck are "Active LEDs for precise tracking"?

3) And what does "USB power tap, with USB pass through" mean?

Oh, and can I suggest you offer a lower cost shipping option for international orders? $38.74 shipping on a $39.99 item doesn't make much sense!

Thanks. Iain.
Vosxod

Post by Vosxod »

$39.95? Sriously?!? I have the money but I'm not buying piece of plastic for 40 bucks!
keith parsons

Post by keith parsons »

That seems quite high, but I have a Plantronics headset will it still fit?

And I assume USB power with pass thru means it's USB powered, but will share a USB port.
SuperKungFu

Post by SuperKungFu »

Agreed, that price is a little too high for just a clip. Adding shipping/tax it will be 50 buxs. I'm fine with the hat alone. Unless that price drops down to $25, then i might consider it.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

The TrackClip PRO was designed to specifically work with Creative Lab's over the ear style headsets, but also works very well on most headsets we have tried, including products from Plantronics and eDimensional.

Active LEDs are small IR LEDs that provide the tracking target for the camera, as opposed to the current reflective tape based markers on the TrackClip. Active LEDs are better because they are brighter and have more of a point source output, which makes for more precise tracking.

The Power Tap is a cool little cable that lets you daisy chain up on USB cables, so you don't lose a USB port just to power the TrackClip PRO, it is "in line". Hope that makes sense.

Sorry about the high shipping cost for overseas, we only ship UPS, so it gets expensive. I would suggest ordering from one of our overseas dealers.

The price is $39 because there was a lot of R&D to create this piece of plastic and as it is not a high volume product, there are only so many units to amoritze the development over, so we are happy to develop the accessory and provide it for sale at a price that will allow us to continue to make investments in optical tracking technology for sims / games.

Personally, I am very excited about the TrackClip Pro, as it looks very cool on a headset and provides great tracking.
bad-aries

Post by bad-aries »

I am personally very happy to see this and can't wait to buy one. However, when I know that it needs to have a USB court for power supply, I have to think twice. Why this piece of nice (I really meant it is nice) plastic can't be light up with batteries if the power consumption is so low? It really borders users especially when one is using a wireless headset.

Is having it wired the only option?

Thanks.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

We could have gone with battery power for the TrackClip Pro, but we felt that having the lightest weight device possible was paramount. Also, if we had done gone the battery route, we would have needed a status light to tell you it was "on", then a switch, then replaceable batteries, or a charging system, and then it just got to be more expensive and complex, so a wire it was, and lightweight it is. You can make it battery powered quite easily, just cut the cord or solder something to the clip part, very low power, like 16ma, so a battery could last for 24 hours, I am sure someone will make something, if the market demands it!
popabawa

Post by popabawa »

Thanks for the answers Jim, I really appreciate it.

From the looks of it I'm pretty sure it'll work with my current Plantronics headset so I'll give it a whirl.

Regarding the shipping, I'd completely forgotten about eDimensional for us in the UK, I've placed a pre-order with them now.
Barred

Post by Barred »

I am looking forward to this as it will help in my situation. The whole unit (TIR and Active headset) will reduce the amount of 'bleed' of extra light sources interfereing.

Edit: I have just ordered one from eDimensional. with 3 day packing �29. Cheaper than a vector clip and a hat