Vista

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
cgp

Vista

Post by cgp »

I'm a quadriplegic and use my Smartnav for all mouse control, with Microsoft Vista do anytime, I was wondering when we may see Vista versions of the drivers and software? I'd even be interested in a beta test program. I want to upgrade, but can't without my Smartnav!
VincentG

Re: Vista

Post by VincentG »

Currently we are testing our latest versions of the Natural Point software in Vista. The software seems to be compatible with the 32-bit version of Vista, but we can't officially support the OS, until a later point in time.
Digitanium

Post by Digitanium »

I've purchased Vista (32-bit) and have tested SmartNav 3 (v3.20.30) and it did work to a degree, but smartnav seems to stop responding under some conditions such as when an administrator dialog appears or when you access device manager. Also, whenever you try using ms on-screen keyboard smartnav drops out. if you rely completely on smartnav i'd recommend sticking to XP. I hope the techies can get smartnav running properly under Vista. For now i'll stick to XP.

Nick.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Are you logging on as the admin?
Digitanium

Post by Digitanium »

Actually, no I'm not, i figured it may be user related, but haven't thought about logging in as admin. If that's the solution i'll give it a go. Will this be resolved though in the near future?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

1 - I didn't seem to have any issues, wirh the onscreen keyboard, at least the one built into Vista. What issues were you having?

2 - Turning off the permission settings, for any new install will work around the ability to install in software.
Digitanium

Post by Digitanium »

Whenever I clicked on the on-screen keyboard the cursor stopped moving and the only way i could get it to move again was to use a normal mouse to minimise the keyboard.

If i keep the smartnav window open during this occurence I can see the dot moving in the tracker window but the actual cursor is just stuck (and the ability switches dont work either). It's a bit frustrating having to have someone move the mouse for me.

As i said i was only logged in as a regular user but i do realise it is a permissions related issue and if it can be resolved i will certainly have another go. Right now i am using xp again.

If there is a particular way to get smartnav running smoothly in vista please give me a clue, lol.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Have you tried using the Click n' Type keyboard, and see if it works better for you?

http://cnt.lakefolks.org/