TrackIR 3-Pro cheaper

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
davidf

TrackIR 3-Pro cheaper

Post by davidf »

What do I get for the extra 60$ if I buy a SmartNAV-3 Standard instead of a TrackIR 3-Pro ? - aren't they the same?

I intend to use it only for mouse cursor movement in Windows XP and I can see the drivers/downloads work for both devices, so I wonder why I should buy the SmartNAV 3 Standard instead of the cheaper TrackIR 3-Pro.

Thanks
--David

[ October 30, 2004, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: davidf ]
jatal

Re: TrackIR 3-Pro cheaper

Post by jatal »

TrackIR is fine tuned for games. SmartNAV is geared more for ergonomic purposes. They both do pretty much the same thing (I have SmartNAV EG, but I have tried bothe the software that comes with it and the TrackIR software), but main difference that made me buy the SmartNAV EG is that you can use foot pedals for mouse buttons, whereas with TrackIR you cannot use foot pedals and you have to use keyboard hotkeys for mousebuttons (which is not as ergonomically beneficial as foot pedals). Of course, the foot pedals do not come with the SmartNAV, so it is even more money to go that route, but if you have wrist problems like I have, it is well worth the extra money (My thoughts were, an extra $100+ for maximum ergonomic benefit, or thousands of dollars and a minimum of 6 weeks off work for carpal tunnel surgery... hmm.....)

Also, if you have SmartNAV, you can use TrackIR software, but if you have TrackIR, you cannot use SmartNAV software... at least that is what I pretty sure I remember reading.

[ October 30, 2004, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: jatal ]
davidf

Post by davidf »

> if you have TrackIR, you cannot use SmartNAV software

Can anyone confirm this? - someone from NaturalPoint sales maybe? if so are there any big disadvantages to the TrackIR 3-Pro software compared to SmartNAV Basic's?

Thanks for your answer, jatal. I guess it all depends on the software. If SmartNAV Basic's works for TrackIR 3-Pro I see no reason to go for SmartNAV Basic since I don't want pedals (I shift position alot in my chair. Sitting still should be harder on the back).

--David
davidf

Post by davidf »

I just talked to one of the reps from Natural Point and he confirmed what you wrote so I'm going for the SmartNAV. I'll want to use the SmartNAV software which will only work with SmartNAV so that settles it.

Looking forward to work "hands-free" soon

Cheers
--David
kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello David,

Sorry I did not get a chance to respond sooner. jatal was correct, the SmartNAVs can utilize the SmartNAV and TrackIR software. Though the TrackIR's can only use TrackIR software.

The SmartNAV software is specifically designed for desktop navigation, and has features that the TrackIR software does not have.

If you have any more questions please dont hesitate to call.
Dolphin Cat

Post by Dolphin Cat »

For people who don't mind a couple of messy wires near the desk, you can save $100 and superglue and blue tax some wires to the mouse button contacts on the circuit board of a mouse, and join them to your favourite foot pedals, or perhaps DIY sum.
chadhenke

Post by chadhenke »

quote:Originally posted by kevin:
The SmartNAV software is specifically designed for desktop navigation, and has features that the TrackIR software does not have.Can you describe some of the features that SmartNAV has but TrackIR doesn't? Also, what about the new vector add-on for TrackIR, will it work with a smartNAV device?

I'm trying to get a good compare between products, but can't seem to get at what's really different from your web site. Putting a side by side compare would be really great.

Thanks,
Chad
kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello Chad,

Thank you for your post, I will try to make things a little clearer.

The first thing is that the upcoming version 4 of the TrackIR software focuses on the growing direct TrackIR Enhanced support that is available in new titles, instead of trying to work with games through mouse emulation which does not provide the best user experience.

The SmartNAV is our only product that is intended and best-suited for general purpose cursor/computer control.

There are several software features that are exclusive to the SmartNAV package:

*Gravity/snap-to
*The ability to use a switch to click
*The ability to use dwell clicking
*Absolute mouse mode
*SmartNAV will pause while typing

SmartNAV also has the ability to be used with the TrackIR software if you wish to play games with it as well, though the TrackIR will not work with SmartNAV software.

The Vector Expansion is an add-on for the version 4.0 TrackIR software, and can only be used with games and simulations (not cursor control). This means that it will work with a SmartNAV, though it is not free and will need to be purchased separately (the same applies to TrackIR owners).

Note : Your SmartNAV must be have a Serial number higher than 16400 to be used with the version 4.0 TrackIR software.

Hope I have cleared things up for you.

Cheers,
Kevin

[ March 04, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Birch Zimmer ]
artimage

Post by artimage »

�But in the first person shooters (operation flashpoint; rogue spear, call of duty, medal of honor, etc...) which model emulate the mouse for the gun aiming??

Because in those games the cursor not move in any direction, really is the background that moves to each side.

�Track Ir or the SmartNav emulate this mouse gun aiming of those games??
kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello,

The SmartNAV can provide mouse aiming in those games. We have a 30 day money back guarantee so if you are not satisfied you can return it, no questions asked.

The TrackIR only works in titles that are TrackIR Enhanced.

Cheers,
Kevin

[ January 11, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: kevin ]