ArmA demo vs. full game

DMaxx

ArmA demo vs. full game

Post by DMaxx »

I'm considering dropping the bucks for Armed Assault: Combat Operations and I'm wondering how much difference, if any, there is in gameplay or other aspects. I've been tooling around with the demo. For those of you who have played both, what have you found? I'm assuming Trackir 4 support is no different.
VincentG

Re: ArmA demo vs. full game

Post by VincentG »

For the most part, there isn't much difference in game play. There are some add-on downloads that you can get with the full install, that add new features such as iron-sight view mod, which add some new look and functionality to the gaming experience.
Catch22

Post by Catch22 »

I'd have to disagree... the demo for ArmA really was pathetic.

I remember in the demo I had a very annoying bug that sometimes caused the screen to jerk around violently when headtracking was enabled. I don't know if that was isolated to the demo, but I don't have that problem anymore, for what it's worth.

There were other differences between full version and demo version too, however I played mostly the demo version based on 1.03 or 1.04 version of the game. The current demo is based off version 1.06.

A few months back, my gaming group had a problem. There were two versions of the game, the European version (1.05)and the US version(1.06), and they were not yet compatible with eachother. As an experiment, we ran a session of the demo version of the game as a compromise that everyone could play until the versions were unified. The consensus was that the 1.06 version demo was just as flawed and suffered from the same problems as the much older 1.03 demo.

Ok, getting back to the subject of TrackIR in Armed Assault. It's much smoother in the full version. I remember in the demo there being a slight lag in head movement that made it impractical.

There is one possible downside to the full version, however. There is a bug found in some of the vehicle turrets that locks the view forward, making TrackIR useless in the gunner position of many vehicles. Some examples of vehicle types affected are the Humvee with mounted MG, M1A1 commander unbuttoned, And the RHIB gunners. This bug somehow popped up in the later versions of the game, and did not show up in the early demo or in some early TrackIR videos.
Catch22

Post by Catch22 »

I should mention that there are mods out now that change the TrackIR fields of view and fix the annoying VIEW LOCK bug. The mod I'm specifically mentioning is called TrueView... not to be confused with the tracking option found in TrackIR. The only downside to this mod that I've seen is how it reduces your zoom, which is bad news in an MP game.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Yes, it is a very nice game mod.....