Mac OS

lwedmo

Mac OS

Post by lwedmo »

I humbly request MacOS X support for the TrackIR products. I saw a few posts about this years ago, and so echo the old sympathy. I submit that the current generation of Apple systems constitutes a capable gaming platform. My personal interest is in the Silent Wings flight simulator. I own TrackIR 4 hardware which is sitting idle, waiting for the fruit of this request.

thanks,
Len
Albany, CA
VincentG

Re: Mac OS

Post by VincentG »

We are currently looking in development for the OS, in regards to the TrackIR product line, but have no immediate plans to support the OS.
pasu99

Post by pasu99 »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]We are currently looking in development for the OS, in regards to the TrackIR product line, but have no immediate plans to support the OS. [/quote]

You must be joking. You have been saying this for years now. Where do you get your driver developers?
I use the flightsim x-plane on a PowerMac G5. For som reason they managed to develop it for Windows, Linux and Mac. Maybe you should ask them about any issues involved in porting code.
This problem can not really be a big one.
So what is your problem really?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The cost of developing the drivers for the Mac OS, in conjunction with the number of our users using OSX is the main deciding factor.
pasu99

Post by pasu99 »

Vincent, thanks for your answer. Hopefully more people will request it from you in the near future, so you may oblige. But still, it can not be that difficult or/and expensive to port the code to the Mac/Linux platform(s). Maybe people just take it for granted after all these years that you will not make the effort and lost interest in your "crippled" product. Maybe some sunny day you will surprise us all and release a beta version.
acewing

Post by acewing »

[quote=pasu99]But still, it can not be that difficult or/and expensive to port the code to the Mac/Linux platform(s).[/quote]

It can actually be very difficult to port a program if it wasn't built with cross-OS compatiblity in mind during its inception.
phel21

Post by phel21 »

Keep in mind that the trackir (unfortunately) is integrated through directx. For other platforms one would have to emulate joystick axes or similar which requires more coding than it does to simply provide an input channel for dx. The joystick-simulation approach would OTOH work well on any platform other than windows leaving only a tiny USB-handling bit as the platform-proprietary part.
eyup

Post by eyup »

Software for OSX would be great = cmooon developers!!!
achaiah

Post by achaiah »

Seriously, with all the developer tools that Apple provides it should not be that hard to create a Linux/Mac version. I really hope the TrackIR team takes a little time to make this investment. I would certainly buy TrackIR if it was available for Mac. It's a shame that Winblows is the only OS supported. :(