Vector rotation order

pdenbrook

Vector rotation order

Post by pdenbrook »

What is the rotation order of the Euler angles (pitch, roll, and yaw) returned by INPVector? Given the Y-up and Z-forward (relative to the camera) coordinate system, I assume pitch is the X-axis rotation, roll is the Z-axis rotation, and yaw is the Y-axis rotation.

Thanks,
Patty
pwierz

Re: Vector rotation order

Post by pwierz »

Does anyone know the answer? I would like to know this too.
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

The order of transformations is roll first, then pitch, then yaw. Relative to the object's local coordinate axis, this is equivalent to rotation around the z-axis, followed by rotation around the x-axis, followed by rotation around the y-axis.
tsudo

Post by tsudo »

Can I just confirm that each rotation is around the new local frame after the prior rotation?

e.g. that the pitch rotation is rotation around local x'-axis where x' is the local x-axis after the roll (z-axis) rotation?

and that the yaw rotation is around the final y''-axis ? (y being initial, and y' being the y-axis after pitch).

cheers :)
tlow

Post by tlow »

I suspect that the answer given, that the angles are about the moving axis is incorrect. The typical Euler angle convention is to rotate about (Y) through angle (Yaw), then about the new (X) by angle (Pitch) and finally about the new Z by angle (Roll). This gives the same result as rototing about a fixed( Z) by (Roll)followed by a rotation about a fixed (X) by (Pitch), and finally about the fixed Y by (Yaw). It seems unlikly that they would use the latter order of rotation but use body rotated axes rather than the conventional body fixed axis.