Rigid Body hangs

hpcv

Rigid Body hangs

Post by hpcv »

The new Rigid Body tool, version 1.0.032 beta 11, often locks up on my system. It stops responding and updating its display and I have to kill it.

This happens mostly when interacting with it, but it sometimes happens when I load the calibration result, sometimes when I load rigid body definitions, sometimes when I enable VRPN streaming, and once even just when I moved the mouse over the menu bar. There is no way to reliably reproduce the crash, except that it does not seem to happen before the calibration data are loaded. Two different calibration files (albeit of the same camera setup) both produce crashes.

I am using Windows XP with all the latest service packs and updates, and the latest Rigid Body tool ().

The previous beta that I used (beta 8) would often hang in the same way, but only when loading the calibration result, and run fine after I'd gotten past that point (which took a few tries).

I'll switch back to beta 8 for now, but I would really like to see this fixed soon. I realize this may be hard to debug with so little information, but I'll be happy to provide anything else you need.

Edit: I just thought I'd attach a calibration file that makes things go boom, but I cannot add an attachment here. Something up with the forum configuration?

Correction. It just started working again. It seems I was too impatient. And now it suddenly keeps working without any hangs, too... :\
hpcv

Re: Rigid Body hangs

Post by hpcv »

At the moment, the application hangs for about half a minute, then responds again briefly, then goes back to hanging. During the hangs, the CPU usage is only 10-15%, not the near-100% it normally uses.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are still testing the software and will watch for this type of behavior.

We only allow uploads in the private Beta forum, but you can email the file to support at naturalpoint.com and we will get it for testing.

Thanks.
hpcv

Post by hpcv »

Argh... I just noticed that the hub that powers the 4 cameras was not plugged into the wall socket, probably hasn't been for quite a while.

The program seems more stable now. Could a lack of power have caused this problem?

Update: tool's hanging again. Not just a power issue then.
Jim

Post by Jim »

With the V100 camera, you must use a powered USB hub at all times. The camera takes almost 500ma, so with one camera you are at the USB spec limit right away. Powered hubs supply 500ma to each port, non powered hubs split 500ma over all devices connected.

We will have a new build of the tool soon, hopefully this week and it should be final.
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

I'm not sure what your issue is in particular but we aren't have stability issues here in-house on any of our machines. Perhaps you could work with support to try and debug the problem. If anything is required on our end, I'll take care of it.