Experiences of using OptiTrack

Jim

Re: Experiences of using OptiTrack

Post by Jim »

check out the new 2 actor videos, just to top it off! :)
bsteagal

Post by bsteagal »

Tim:

You are welcome! glad to help in anyway I can...
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us
cjmarkham

Post by cjmarkham »

Marco,

You have a very valid concern. My career has allowed me to work with a wide range of mocap systems, from an optical STT system to the Giant system at Weta Digital, to the 88 Vicon camera system they have at SCEA San Diego. I believe I would be the absolute best person to help you with your dilemma, because not only do I have the experience, but I'm also based in London at the moment. As the Lead Animator at Rockstar Games London I have an OptiTrack system here in the studio.

To answer your question about faster motion, according to my experience the answer is no, but bear in mind, the Vicon cameras I used at Sony had 3 onboard processors, weighed a stone, and cost $20,000USD each.

The bottom line is OptiTrack gives me great results for a fraction of what it would cost for a Vicon. Then again, as an animator I'm more concerned with the curves I can produce from the data, then having the highest frame rate possible. If your goal is to produce the most realistic high end capture for close up emotional performances, then you will need to go with more expensive cameras. As for me I'm very happy with the results I'm getting with the OptiTrack cameras, and I'm finding the software to be powerful, user friendly and reliable.

CJ Markham
tvining

Post by tvining »

Sounds great--where would I find these new videos??

Thanks--Tim
Jim

Post by Jim »

They were posted under the Arena forum, which is more specific to that product line. Follow this link:

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... #Post29247
tvining

Post by tvining »

Oh, you are evil! ;-) Just when I'd gotten used to the idea of getting 6 cameras...! I'll leave it to you to explain to my wife why I need 12!

--Tim