Space required and capture volumes

The_Nomad

Space required and capture volumes

Post by The_Nomad »

Hi! I've got two quick questions that might sound like they're contradictory...

1) What capture volume can you get out of a 14' square room? I'm planning to set the capture system (assuming I buy one) up in a 14' by 14' basement, initially, and I'd really like to get at least a large enough area to capture two actors with a couple of steps movement space.

2) What's the largest possible capture volume from a 12-camera setup? Ideally, at a later date, I'd like a large enough volume to capture a swordfight, which I estimate about 15' circular at least - is that possible?
VincentG

Re: Space required and capture volumes

Post by VincentG »

1 - A conservative number for capture is half of the setup volume, so you would have a capture volume of 7'x7'

2 - Currently the larest setup area should be 20'x20'
The_Nomad

Post by The_Nomad »

So that means that the capture area will be a maximum of 10' by 10'?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Currently the conservative number is 10'*10'. In pratice it tends to be closer 12-13'.
tvining

Post by tvining »

I have a 14x14 basement room, and found that you should get at least 8 cameras to set up in the 2-cameras-per-corner setup. I originally bought 6 cameras and set them up in a "circle" in that area (I used brackets to maximize the space; tripods would lose you space with the legs) but found that the capture volume was too small to be practical, since the maximum distance between the cameras was only 14'. By setting up the 8 cameras--2 in each corner--the maximum distance between cameras is more like 18', which yields a markedly larger capture area--not huge, but good enough for a few strides across.