Matrox Parhelia Surround Gaming and Track IR?

hakan

Matrox Parhelia Surround Gaming and Track IR?

Post by hakan »

Hi!
Has anyone tried this? Is it possible to do? Or will it be "overkill"?
h.kan
Jim

Re: Matrox Parhelia Surround Gaming and Track IR?

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I have heard of it being done on some other forum. It will work, it could be very cool, or overkill, I am not sure. Let us know!
oj79

Post by oj79 »

There is a guy on the il2sturmovik forums that has this rigged up.

It looks pretty damned amazing!

http://www.il2sturmovik.com
Heyvern

Post by Heyvern »

Did he hook up track IR accross 2 or 3 monitors? What exactly did he do?

Has anyone been able to get the 3D scrollable view to work with that 3D cockpit view spread accross 2 or 3 separate monitors???

If yes, I'll consider buying THREE 15-inch flat panel monitors and spreading the 3D view accross all 3 monitors.

-Vern.
vectre1

Post by vectre1 »

I've got the Parhelia and TrackIR running, and am happy to report that for the most part, it works pretty well. I have 3 21" CRTs and the camera is right in the middle.

The biggest problem you have to deal with is that the side-to-side distance is pretty long, and you will have to set the speed to maximum, otherwise the cursor won't make it to the edges of the side monitors. I haven't had any problems with the mouse being too jittery. It does require some pretty steady head movement, though.

I called in to (the very helpful) tech support for this suggestion if you are using the Parhelia: Put one dot on the center of your glasses, and one on each end. That way, as you turn your head, the focus shifts from the center to the side dots, and it does it pretty seamlessly.

There was no problem whatsoever in terms of setting up the software. The Parhelia treats your monitors as one big display anyway, so TrackIR can't tell the difference.

I've tried a few games (sorry not IL2) and the rule seems to be that if a game works with the TrackIR, it should work with the Parhelia and TrackIR too. And no, its not overkill. Its ubergeek, and its very, very good.
vectre1

Post by vectre1 »

One clarification: the TrackIR software handles the multiple monitors better than the SmartNav software. With the TrackIR software, you don't need to set the speed that high, and you can scale the X and Y speed independantly.