Linux Trackir2/3 drivers

Skinny

Re: Linux Trackir2/3 drivers

Post by Skinny »

BTW, if you want a nice example of something else that could be enabled with TrackIR under linux, check out Dasher:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

It allows (disabled) people to type using just head/eye movement. Its amazingly effective too. Having 6DoF rather than 2, I'm sure this idea could be improved upon massively.
ansorg

Post by ansorg »

BUMP

what's status regarding Linux Suport?

Jens
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Currently there is no change in the status of TrackIR support under Linux. Until we have a better idea of what the level of demand is there will not be available drivers for the SmartNAV or TrackIR.
linuxkrn

Post by linuxkrn »

Hello,

I have just purchased a TrackIR Pro and would like to get it working on Linux.

In reply to your post, you requested to know demand for Linux. What method could we use to provide you those metrics? Such as; on-line petition, replies to a thread in your forums, on-line survey, etc?

Furthermore, I would be willing to help assist in developing drivers and software for Linux. As well to add support to current Open Source Software games and applications.

Please let me know how the community can help bring this product to a great OS along with many other applications and games. I believe that this will benefit your company by increase sales and good press release as many websites would link to another supported product. It will also benefit gamers and the disabled by providing another method for human interface devices.

Regards,
LinuxKrn
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Generally, just the level of general inquiry would need to be increaed (email, forums, game developer inquiries)
bflagg

Post by bflagg »

..2 things are stopping me from going to ubuntu...

no thrustmaster cougar drivers and
no trackIR drivers.

Everything else I have a work around.

Please release a trackIR w/Vector for linux....
mbrx

Post by mbrx »

Hi,

just wanted drop in my 2 cents to the discussion. I am currently looking to buy multiple head trackers for research/teaching at �rebro University. However, because of the lack of Linux support (all our robotics research are based on Linux platforms) shown here and at your website I'm looking for alternative products. If anyone can give any pointers to other products with working Linux support it would be much appreciated.

Mathias
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

We are very interested in providing support for our products in Linux, though are unsure of the market and its ability to provide a return on the investment that we, or a developer, would need to make.
mbrx

Post by mbrx »

Well, I guess it is a bit hard for us potential customers to influence your decision in any other way than by expressing an interest. However, it would probably help the discussion if NaturalPoint could express here (or somewhere else) what was the problem on why the free driver development offer by the Linux kernel developers (see earlier in this thread, or http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/twiki ... anyProcess ) could not be accepted. Is there a problem with NDA's or does NaturalPoint doubt the quality or development time of the code?. This could help explain the viewpoint of your company and make it more obvious of what the community of users could do to realize a driver.

Anyway, I hope that there will someday be good linux drivers for these devices since it would allow them to be used within my field.