Vista 64 SP1 Installation Problems

WotanUK

Vista 64 SP1 Installation Problems

Post by WotanUK »

Hello,

Recently upgraded from Windows XP 32 to Vista 64, my TrackIR 4 worked fine under Windows XP, unfortuantely i can't even get the drivers to install under Vista, internal errors occur "string access out of bounds".
There is someone else on the forum who has had the same problem, they are emailed with a reply!
goingballistic

Re: Vista 64 SP1 Installation Problems

Post by goingballistic »

I just installed on Vista 64 yesterday and finally got it working properly with Vector and the pro clip.

Go here and download the drivers.....http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06- ... nuals.html

Strip ( uninstall the original version from the control panel and remove the Natural point folder in /Programs) and the reinstall.

Once you have the installation complete run it as Administrator, right click and select "run as administrator" and it should be OK. Let me know if that helps.
WotanUK

Post by WotanUK »

Hello "Goingballistic",

Thank you for your help, unfortunately that didn't work, i can't even get to the point of having a trackir folder to un-install / delete.

I have tried two different drivers (the brand new one, and the previous release); both have the same problem, it clears checking the installer and then hangs, after that i have to reboot in order to try the installer again. I am logged in as Administrator.

Anymore help would be gratefully recived.

Thanks
Ian
goingballistic

Post by goingballistic »

If you use the control panel in Vista and uninstall the program.........I am assuming you can do that? Uninstall the program and then go to /program Files(x86)on your boot drive. You will find the folder "Natural Point".......delete the folder......DON'T delete it before you uninstall it, delete it after you run the uninstall.

Reboot the machine, then click the software you downloaded, it should reinstall in the same local as before/Program Files(x86).

Let me know if you get that far.
reload006

Post by reload006 »

I had probs updating from xp 32 to vista 64. the latest driver would install, then hang on reboot. (the software would open but would be blank) and the track ir 4 lights would not go on.

it got to a point where i couldnt even delete the old folder, even if i had installed it at a location other than prog files x 86.

this is what i did :

1. reboot windows in SAFE mode.

2. If you had trouble uninstalling track ir 4 from the control panel, delete the folder manually in safe mode.

(even though i was administrator on my pc, i did not have "permission" to delete the naturalpoint folder manually. I even switched UAC (user account control off and tried, still didnt delete) it only worked when i did step 2.

2a. restart windows in your normal mode. Run an antivirus check.

3. Download the second-last driver (NOT the latest because i think there is an issue with vista 64) I mentioned this in another post but i never got a reply or response from vincent/ the track ir people!)

4. install that driver (i think it ends with ***.35) (make sure ur track ir 4 is not connected)

5. connect the track IR 4 , and then start the software.

this is what worked for me. hope it works for u.

Reload006

system : evga x58 mobo with latest bios
corsair dominator 1600 mhz 12 gb ddr3
geforce gtx 280, latest nvidia drivers
vista 64 bit OS sp1
intel core i7 920, 2.66 ghz
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

We have not seen an issue with the TrackIR 64-bit drivers
WotanUK

Post by WotanUK »

Hello,

Again thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately i can't un-install the drivers from control panel (or anywhere else for that matter), for one very simply reason, they will simply not install in the first place to un-install. This is a brand new install, Vista (64) does detect the device (as unknown) but no matter which drivers i attempt to install, it gets to "checking the installer" and then hangs with an error message along the lines of Invalid Arguement. At that point it requires a reboot in order to try again, i get the same error. There is a long error number, but i don't have it to hand at the moment
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

What is the exact error message?
WotanUK

Post by WotanUK »

Unfortunately I'm not in front of my PC at present (Friday before i'll be there again), at that point I'll let you know.

Thanks
WotanUK

Post by WotanUK »

Hi Again,

This is the error message takes place after the install shield runs (it doesn't finish) it is:

Internal Failure
Error Number: 0x80040707
Description:

It lets me continue after clicking twice on the above error but, there is no license agrement, just a blank page, click Yes and i get to the installation page but the drives are missing just the install path of NaturalPoint\TrackIR4. Manually enter the path C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4 and then get the final error message

Unhandled Exception
Error Number: 0x80040705
Description: String accessed out of bounds

Setup will now terminate

I have attempted to download the driver several times, i get the same issue:

Again using Vista 64 SP1. The O/S does find the device, but no luck on the drivers.

Help Please
Thanks