Heap corruption problem

Veehmot

Heap corruption problem

Post by Veehmot »

If I comment out the line that is calling cvConvertImage(), it works well. Otherwise, I get this error:
"Windows has triggered a breakpoint in cvsample.exe.
This may be due to a corruption of the heap, which indicates a bug in cvsample.exe or any of the DLLs it has loaded.
This may also be due to the user pressing F12 while cvsample.exe has focus.
The output window may have more diagnostic information."

Through a web search I realized that this can be caused by a dll incompatibility.

Please note that:
A. The error is triggered in the function GetFrameImage() from Optitrack SDK.
B. The function is NEVER called, but it throws me that error anyway
C. I'm using Visual Studio Team System 2008.

Build log:
http://pastebin.com/f6e05536

Debug log:
http://pastebin.com/f45cc14a4

Source:
http://pastebin.com/f282450cc
beckdo

Re: Heap corruption problem

Post by beckdo »

GetFrameImage() needs to be called very carefully because you're providing it with a buffer that the OptiTrack SDK will fill with data. Now, that being said, if the buffer you provide is not large enough you will corrupt the heap--which is happening in your case.

If tell GetFrameImage to populate your buffer at 32-bits per pixel, the buffer must be at least 640*480*4 bytes in size or you'll corrupt memory.
Veehmot

Post by Veehmot »

Thanks for the reply.
That is not my case, since I'm asking for a 8-bit per pixel buffer. And the size of the buffer is right, (PixelWidth x PixelHeight x (BitsPerPixel / 8)) => (640 x 480 x (8 / 8)) = 307200. And that is the size of my buffer, 307200, so the buffer is large enough.

I realized that the problem arises only when using /DEBUG.
That being said, these are my parameters for the compiler:

Code: Select all

/O2 /Ob1 /I "../../cxcore/include" /I "../../cv/include" /I "../../otherlibs/highgui" /I "C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\Optitrack\inc" /D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_CONSOLE" /D "_VC80_UPGRADE=0x0600" /D "_MBCS" /GF /Gm /EHsc /MD /Gy /Fp".\..\..\_temp\cvsample_Rls/cvsample.pch" /Fo"C:\DOCUME~1\ELJORJ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\opencv.build\cvsample_Release.Win32\\" /Fd"C:\DOCUME~1\ELJORJ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\opencv.build\cvsample_Release.Win32\\" /W4 /nologo /c /Zi /TP /errorReport:prompt

And for the linker:

Code: Select all

/OUT:".\cvsample.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /LIBPATH:"../../lib" /LIBPATH:"C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\Optitrack\lib\i386" /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"C:\DOCUME~1\ELJORJ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\opencv.build\cvsample_Release.Win32\cvsample.exe.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /NODEFAULTLIB:"libmmd.lib" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /DYNAMICBASE:NO /MACHINE:X86 /ERRORREPORT:PROMPT optitrackuuid.lib cxcore.lib cv.lib  kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib "..\..\lib\ml.lib" "..\..\lib\highgui.lib"

Any suggestions? Why can't I debug an Optitrack application?
Veehmot

Post by Veehmot »

Ok now without /DEBUG it crashes as well.

Here it's my code now:
http://pastebin.com/fb9b0b61

That code works well, and the video buffer is displayed correctle, but when I try to use cvConvertImage() it crashes. BUT the function cvConvertImage() works if I comment out GetFrameImage().
And I tested the two functions in stand-alone projects, and they both work good. The problems arises when trying to implementate one with the other.

NOTE: It doesn't matter that I sent two identical parameters to cvConvertImage(), that's not the case, that was just for the sake of this post, because the error appears in the GetFrameImage() line.

I have to use cvConvertImage() for my project. Other functions from the OpenCV library work well, the problem it's just with cvConvertImage().
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

Can you zip up your project and send it over? I'll take a look at it.
Veehmot

Post by Veehmot »

http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=down ... leid=58415

There it is.. try to remove comment from line 53 in optitrack.cpp and you'll see that GetFrameImage() gets the error at runtime.
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

Ok, I've reproduced your problem. It's not clear where the problem is just yet. I will try to track it down for you.
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

Ok, there seems to be something wrong with the way you've brought in the OpenCV library: cv.lib, cxcore.lib, highgui.lib. Something with the way these are compiled and linked in is causing problems. When stepping through your code it looks like GetFrameImage() is causing a heap corruption when the following cvConvertImage line is included, when in actuality the program is crashing before execution enters GetFrameImage().

I think we can both agree something very strange is happening, and it doesn't appear to be the code itself, so I think you should take a closer look at the way you're compiling and bringing in your external library.
Veehmot

Post by Veehmot »

Ok I will check them up, thanks for your time.
I will update this post for further information.
Has981

Post by Has981 »

Did anybody manage to figure out whats causing this..

I've put up a post earlier about a very similar problem but couldn't find the solution.