Will SmartNav ever have Linux support?

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
AdvicePro

Will SmartNav ever have Linux support?

Post by AdvicePro »

If so, when is a developement expected?
VincentG

Re: Will SmartNav ever have Linux support?

Post by VincentG »

We are very interested in providing support for our hardware in Linux, though are unsure of the market and its ability to provide a return on the investment that we, or a developer, would need to make to have proper drivers
timwylie

Post by timwylie »

Can you please give some kind of qualitative metric as to what you need in order to say it's worth the investment? I have been hanging around here for a few years and this comes up over and over with the same reply every time. I've had my smartnav3 in a box for two years now because I only use Linux.

I understand the substantial differences between the systems and how the backend won't be a simple task to convert, but what will you need in order for you to feel it's worth it?

Is there anyway for you to at least open up an API so that linux programmers can develop their own drivers and save you the trouble?
jchouinard

Post by jchouinard »

I really need Linux drivers as well.

Has anyone tried VirtualBox? Until the drivers are released I would like to use VirtualBox with Synergy, but the SmartNAV app is hanging when I have tried it. (I used VirtualBox 2.2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3 as a guest OS.)

I just can't handle MS Windows. I have been running a seperate PC at home and also at work for years now.
timwylie

Post by timwylie »

I have been unsuccessful in getting any virtualization to work. I've considered working on a driver myself but haven't had much time. Instead I've just put my smartnav in a box. I'm considering buying another product that already has the drivers and just selling this. I don't think drivers for Linux will ever happen.
OlivierFournier

Post by OlivierFournier »

if you wait a return on investment to develop linux driver, we will wait long time before have it!
Linux driver like Mac Os driver is service you would give to your customers.