Minimum Range of 2 feet is too far for my vision?

CHUCKP

Minimum Range of 2 feet is too far for my vision?

Post by CHUCKP »

The published specs for the TrackIR 5 states that the MINIMUM distance (low end of the "range") between the sending unit sitting on top of your monitor and the reflectors on your head is 2' (24").

Because of a difficult vision situation that I have(I am BOTH shortsighted and farsighted and wear 250 power reading glasses OVER very strong contacts (without them I am 20/400, which is almost legally blind!) I MUST sit only about 12-14" from the screen (the distance I just measured from the front of my eyeballs to the face of my 19" Flat Screen Monitor).

So, in my situation, it appears that I cannot use the TrackIR 5 system as if I move far enough away (2') to be within range, then, I can't see the screen clearly!

Please advise me on this particular situation? Any ideas? I really want to purchase the TrackIR system for my Aviation Sim games but it appears that I won't be able to?

Chuck Proche
snomhf

Re: Minimum Range of 2 feet is too far for my vision?

Post by snomhf »

Hi Chuck,
This idea probably wouldn't work if your using the pro clip (headset) but if you use the one that mounts on a baseball cap, you could try this.

If your computer is against a wall, try mounting the TIR camera on the wall behind your monitor. I'm guessing you'd have about two feet from the front of the monitor to the wall. If you're not on a wall, you could mount a ruler or something to set the camera on that serves the same purpose. As long as it's high enough to see the reflectors when you duck your head when looking down then it should work. I have a friend in a similar situation as you and it worked great for him.

Best thing is to bring up the TIR software and go to the "Camera" view so that you see the three green dots. Adjust the camera so that the green dots are centered and produce a nice equilateral triangle as much as possible and test full movement while making sure the green dots remain visible. That should insure proper function.

Hope that helps.
CHUCKP

Post by CHUCKP »

snomhf:

Thanx for the idea....that might work?

However, I hope to get a response from the manufacturer NaturalPoint(Seth or Vincent?).

They might shed some light on this situation as to how critical the minimum 2 feet spec is to the proper operation of the system?

A custom bracket attached to the top of the LCD that would set the camera back about a foot from the front of the LCD screen is another idea but I don't have the skill to create such a thing?

Chuck Proche
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The distance is to allow the camera to have a good field of view, and allow the camera to see the 3 tracking objects.

You could also look at mounting the device to either side, or behind you as well, and just adjusting the axis movement to compensate.
Muhad

Post by Muhad »

I can move in to about 12" from my LG 26" LCD monitor before the IR5 stops working. I have to use large bifoculs.

CHUCKP, how large is your monitor?
CHUCKP

Post by CHUCKP »

My current monitor is a 19" SAMSUNG Widescreen.

As I get more into gaming, and especially if I get this TrackIR 5 unit, I am thinking of upgrading to an ASUS 24" LCD monitor that I can get for only $220. Since everything will be larger on that size screen, I might be able to get away with sitting close to 24" away from it and still see the screen clearly...

Muhad, it is good to hear that your TrackIR works OK with your eyes as close as 12" to the front of the LCD. Maybe the 24" Minimum spec from the manufacturer is a bit too conservative?

Vincent, have you actually tested the IR5 closer than 2' and found that it really stops working at that point...one of your customers seems to be having good luck at half that distance?

ChuckP
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Chuck,

I've had moderate success with a gap of around 12". But, the margin of error for proper positioning is much smaller. To have consistent tracking without the TrackClip moving out of the camera's view, you need to have the Clip's starting point directly centered in the camera's view horizontally, and slightly elevated vertically. 18" should be no problem at all. 14"-16" will be fine as well, as long as your camera is positioned pretty well. 12" is doable, but positioning has to be really optimized.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
CHUCKP

Post by CHUCKP »

Seth:

OK....I think I have the answer I needed to feel comfortable in buying the unit and knowing it will work at close range!

Before I do, I am going to buy a 24" LCD Monitor to replace my 19".

I will prolly buy a Neo Flex LCD stand to go with it that has a nice range of height adjustment of maybe 4"-5" (which many mid price monitors do NOT offer in their cheap "tilt only" stands that come with their monitors).

I am confident that this larger monitor, with the ability to adjust the position of the screen, will allow the TIR5 camera mounted on the top of it, to be able to easily pick up the TrakClip mounted on my baseball cap, which will probably be in the 16"-18" range between the camera and the reflectors.

Chuck P.

PS: You say: "18" should be no problem at all". So, maybe you should change the specs from 2' to 18" if the unit really works well consistently at that distance?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It is always better to err on the side of a conservative number.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Yeah, as Vincent notes, our specs reflect what we can guarantee will be effective and reliable. That doesn't mean that you can't push the boundaries a bit. I've actually had TrackIR 5 track my head movement in ArmA reliably from about 9 feet away. We don't "officially recommend" it, but TrackIR 5 is a supremely robust optical tracker. Feel free to experiment with its boundaries as you have need... or curiosity! ;)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack