64 bit Drivers RELEASED!

Charvel

Re: 64 bit Drivers RELEASED!

Post by Charvel »

quote:Originally posted by James Hallows:
quote:Originally posted by oqvist:
It�s a superior gaming OS that�s for sure. It is?

All the evidence I've read is that you will get superior performance in your current 32bit OS than in XP64.

Very few simmers will be rushing to jump on the X64 bandwagon IMHO.

Interesting comparison here for simmers: http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_043a.html

Another interesting and eye opening discussion is here for simmers: http://fighterops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1531

IMHO of course

JamesIf you're a gamer or use the computer for anything other than high-end video/animation/3D software it makes little sense to move over to Win64 at the moment. I think a lot of people assume that they will get better performance with an AMD64 chip but right now that's not necessarily the case until there's actually usable 64-bit software and games out for it.

I plan to switch over to it but not until it's practical, perhaps in 6 months or so. To me it doesn't really seem fair to ask NP to prioritize a Win64 driver when only two or three people will be using it. I'm sure that will change soon enough but let's give them some time.
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

No it�s not an assumption it�s a fact.

True you don�t get higher fps but you get higher minimum fps.

I get far less "stutters" then I get in XP 32 . You are right fps doesn�t improve on 32-bit optimized games but they definiatly run smoother. All the ones I have tested does so.

And have been able to test them side by side also .

So for me yes it�s a superior gaming OS at least once TrackIR get supported and you don�t play starforce copy protected games

That said it�s not worth paying 200$ or more to acquireing X64 but those who have XP PRO and can thus get it for free or rather shipphing costs and are primarily gaming and have a AMD 64 (performs better than Intels P 4 with 64-bit extensions) will be happy with it .

However as mentioned the driver support isn�t 100 % there yet. TrackIR, and my tvtuner for example but my Audigy 2 has drivers for it and all my pheripherals except trackIR and my stereo3d glasses since nVidia doesn�t have the drivers out yet for X64 works flawlessly.

Faster boot ups, faster loading of internet pages, smoother gaming makes it superior to me
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Cool. Bringing up minimum FPS is worth just as much if not more than highest. Still all of those tests were done with averaged scores so it's a bit odd that it would end up the same as 32-bit XP?

Anyway, I'm just saying that it's only been a few months and NP is a relatively small company so they can't just throw resources around as much as Creative or nVidia can. I think a few more months is reasonable but,hell, I have a hard time not jumping in as an early adopter myself sometimes.

Let's hope they are able to get to it as soon as they can.
Goodcop

Post by Goodcop »

quote:Originally posted by Charvel:
...To me it doesn't really seem fair to ask NP to prioritize a Win64 driver when only two or three people will be using it. I'm sure that will change soon enough but let's give them some time. I hate to complain on my sweethearts NP, but here I go...

Speaking as one of the (above mentioned) unsatisfied three people out there with a Trackir3 and a 64bit AMD cpu running at 32-bit, it's a puzzle to me why it's not a primary objective for a hardware company to supply drivers matching the release of a long awaited OS from the largest software developer in the universe.

I understand that the dev resources are limited within a small company, but the release plans of 64bit drivers should have been in the making already when the CPU manufactureres a long time ago started to pump out 64bit processors en masse to the mainstream market and Microsoft postponed their release date for the second time. It just seems to me this "new 64bit thing" couldn't have come as a surprise. The betas and RCs up to the release of XP64 have been easily obtainable or even open for anyone to download from the developer.

If XP64 is a better gaming OS than its 32-bit cousin today must be pretty irrelevant to weather NP should prioritize releasing drivers now or later. The hardware is commonly availabe, and the OS is now too. Time has been on their side all along, it seems. Is it too much to ask for if I'd like to fully use the technology I bought a year ago, when all that's keeping me is some drivers?

Is it that time consuming to make a 32to64bit software/driver port? (asking NP, 'cause I really don't know first hand)

That said, I still love you...
Gnasche

Post by Gnasche »

I seriously doubt that NP considers it unfair to get direct feedback from customers as to their needs. NP is in the business of making money, after all, and these forums certainly beat focus groups.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Thanks for the feedback. We will be doing a 64bit driver in the future, but I can't say when that will be exactly. We must have a whole new USB driver system for this to work, and there is no support from our chip suppliers on this at all, so we have to do the work. This is on our road map.
Goodcop

Post by Goodcop »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Jim:
Hello:

Thanks for the feedback. We will be doing a 64bit driver in the future, but I can't say when that will be exactly. We must have a whole new USB driver system for this to work, and there is no support from our chip suppliers on this at all, so we have to do the work. This is on our road map.Thanks for the info. I wish you good luck on the work with the drivers and we'll await a beta with open arms.
Easty

Post by Easty »

+1 more user with xp64. and just bought trackir3 pro, vector exp addon. Doh.. guess it'll sit in its pretty box for now. good luck with the development work NP. Its nice to see a company communicating at least and not leaving its customers in the dark.

Cheers, Brian
terhi

Post by terhi »

quote:Originally posted by oqvist:
No it�s not an assumption it�s a fact.

True you don�t get higher fps but you get higher minimum fps.

I get far less "stutters" then I get in XP 32 . You are right fps doesn�t improve on 32-bit optimized games but they definiatly run smoother. All the ones I have tested does so.

And have been able to test them side by side also .

So for me yes it�s a superior gaming OS at least once TrackIR get supported and you don�t play starforce copy protected games

That said it�s not worth paying 200$ or more to acquireing X64 but those who have XP PRO and can thus get it for free or rather shipphing costs and are primarily gaming and have a AMD 64 (performs better than Intels P 4 with 64-bit extensions) will be happy with it .

However as mentioned the driver support isn�t 100 % there yet. TrackIR, and my tvtuner for example but my Audigy 2 has drivers for it and all my pheripherals except trackIR and my stereo3d glasses since nVidia doesn�t have the drivers out yet for X64 works flawlessly.

Faster boot ups, faster loading of internet pages, smoother gaming makes it superior to me
terhi

Post by terhi »

I have to agree with Per Oqvist, Flight Simulator 2004 runs a lot smoother with Win x64 than it does with Win XP (SP2). It is quite noticeable. Admittedly, the frame rates do not get any better, but the overall experience is far more pleasurable with far fewer stutters. Perhaps it is something to do with better memory management since I use a LOT of RAM (2Gb) because I edit enormous photoshop files. Photoshop, by the way, also seems to be more stable under Win x64, but this may be a subjective opinion, but I do use it professionally every day, so one gets a feel for how tha program works.

When all is said and done, I am NEVER going back to Win32, but I would dearly like to use TrackIR. So please - a requerst to the driver programmers - please organize a driver for Win x64 as soon as possible.

Greetings

Dave Britzius
(Cape Town)