TrackIR Support - List of Requested Games

Seth Steiling

Re: TrackIR Support - List of Requested Games

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=MLetter]Hi! I'm new, just bought TrackIR 4 Pro, the clip and the cap today. :)

Before boughting I was wondering would this support it, but not yet I saw after installing product..

I'd like to have support for World of Warcraft, I don't know would it be possible but I think it would be nice to turn camera with head so mouse would be more free for using skills from the action bars. Sometimes it's pretty hard to use all skills from keyboard since it has so much different skills.

-Thank you. [/quote]
Hi MLetter,

Hopefully you enjoy your new TrackIR! We've been in touch with the WoW developers for some time, and they have TrackIR units for evaluation. To date, I haven't heard back from them, so I don't think they are interested in the technology. You are certainly more than welcome to request that they implement TrackIR on their community forums, as we're definitely willing to work with them. The more TrackIR users that express interest, the more likely they are to put it in.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
__s

Re: TrackIR for X3 series?

Post by __s »

i've post the question at egosoft, this might be interesting discovery of what player base they have on thiers X games comunity.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=__s]i've post the question at egosoft, this might be interesting discovery of what player base they have on thiers X games comunity.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0[/quote] That was an interesting thread. Thanks for linking, and thanks for your efforts in promoting TrackIR! Some of the posters in that thread are quite misinformed about TrackIR. Some corrections, if they are interested:

1) While we don't officially release how many users we have, I can assure you that we have multiple times more than 10,000.

2) The workload of integrating TrackIR varies from project to project (depending on programmer skill and the game's view/aim assumptions), but on a foundational level, it's really quite a simple project for any competent developer. It has less data streams than a typical joystick, for comparison.

3) I've never heard of TrackIR causing headaches or motion sickness. Perhaps someone that has major issues with motion sickness could be disoriented by it, but I've never had any problem like that--nor do I know of anybody else that has.

4) Users with prescription glasses can use TrackIR just like anybody else. As long as you wear a headset or hat, you can use TrackIR.

5) As I'm sure you, and the rest of our users, know, you don't have to look all over the place to make TrackIR work. The acceleration curves allow you to make large in-game view adjustments with small real life movement, if you wish.

6) TrackIR has less than 1% CPU footprint for a mid-level gaming PC and has no impact on the game's frame rate. Your FPS should really never take a noticeable hit from TrackIR, as it doesn't require rendering any more polygons than normal.

Feel free to cite this response in the thread. :)

-Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

As for IR light from the camera, and it damaging your eyes -

The LEDs emit at 880nm and are standard off the shelf IR LEDs; we run them all the time when the unit is turned on. There are 4 of them and they each have a total radiant output of about 23mw/sr, which is 23miliwats per ster radian. Total output power is NOT 4 X 23 mw/sr as the LEDS do not overlap exactly; they create a coverage pattern with slight overlap at the edges. Also, the LEDs to not emit a uniform brightness, they have an angle to half intensity, so the center of the overlapping LEDs is the SAME brightness as the center of each LEDs output, hope that makes sense.

Your eyes ARE sensitive to IR light, you can't see it, but your eyes will register the "power" of the light, your pupils will shrink down as if you were looking at light in the visible spectrum. Remember, we are just slightly above red in the visible spectrum. You won't feel your pupils getting smaller when our device turns on because we are a relatively low level of light for an average room condition. If you turn out all the lights in the room, put the unit about 1 foot away from your face and watch your eyes in a mirror, you will see your pupils contract, they are "seeing" the IR light.

As for the amount of power the LEDs output, it is many of times lower than simply going outside, not to mention on a bright sunny day. As I had seen posted before, we are a small fraction of the IR output from a normal incandescent light bulb. ANSI references spec ANSI Z 136.1 - 2000 for laser power emission, but we are not a laser, so in the back of the spec they reference ANSI/IESNA RP-27.1-96, which is the spec for lamp output, basically what we are and what ANSI says to use. Maximum exposure for our wavelength range, which is from 700nm to 1100nm is 10mw/cm2. To convert our power output, which is about 30mw/sr, we apply sr x 1cm2/distance2. Typical user distance is 18" or about 45cm (on the conservative side, most users are further away), so 30mw/2025 = .015mw/cm2. Needless to say, we are on the safe side!
welkyn

Post by welkyn »

Well, back to square one for Dungeons and Dragons Online!

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=171945

DDO is finally implementing first person view and I thought this might be just what's needed to get TrackIR in there. With first person view camera, TrackIR would really rock.

Anyways, hope you can make something out of this.

Thanks for your efforts guys.
danknee

Post by danknee »

Got my Track IR v5 two days ago and it is great! I played FFXI for years and having this would have been outstanding then.

This brings me to my request, Square Enix's FFXIV Online, which is due out in 2010. I'm not sure if this being multi-platform hurts its chances, but I can always hope! (PC and PS3)
pamonyet

Post by pamonyet »

Everquest2 Please please please
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=PaMonyet]Everquest2 Please please please [/quote]
Their devs are currently in discussion on this. :)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
rehumies

Post by rehumies »

I could come up with two games that would be interesting with TrackIR:

- Flightgear Flight Simulator
- Penumbra and upcoming Amnesia from Frictional Games
rehumies

Post by rehumies »

- Mirror's Edge (or possible second installement?)