TrackIR 5 range

delly

TrackIR 5 range

Post by delly »

I want to buy the TrackIR 5 but I have a slightly non-standard setup.

I have a large projector with the main computer above and behind the viewing position.

I estimate that the viewing position is 12ft from the projector. I estimate that the total distance a wire would have to be to go from the PC to the projector is 16ft.

My questios therefore are:

1. Is this setup feasible with USB cables/powered hubs, my research makes me think no?

2. What is the maximum workable range for the a) TrackIR Hatclip b) TrackIR clippro?

If this is not possible, is it possible to have the TrackIR off to one side and use configuration to correct for shift?

Regards.
delly

Re: TrackIR 5 range

Post by delly »

Ill take the lack of response as a "Sorry no".

Thats a shame, so the 2-5ft range seems to be a stumbling block for ppl with projectors, damn!

I guess I will have to look at alternatives like FreeTrack, I think because that works with any webcam I might be able to get a high res cam that could support the 10+ ft range.

Regards
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The lack of response was not an indication of an answer, just that I can take me a few hours to get to the forums.

The ideal setup/distance is going to be 2-6 feet, with the TrackIR some people report a slightly larger distance, but 12 feet is going to be a little far.

You can mount it behind you, and adjust the axis to compensate for the different movement.
delly

Post by delly »

Ok, no problem, thanks for the answer.. thats interesting so behind is an option.. might be difficult with my setup.

What about 6 ft but off centre to the left (2ft left of the centre), I understand this probably lowers accuracy but does the software have the ability to configure that translation to some degree or would it become unusable/skitty etc?

Thanks!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Currently that is not supported with the latest software, as they ability to change the axis that radically isn't currently in the code.