TIR and Cougar problem

Mas_EAF331

TIR and Cougar problem

Post by Mas_EAF331 »

Hi guys.

I have problems with my cougar and TIR together.

The cougar lost connection and i have to flash it many times.

I have notised this a several times now and i have 1.40 version for TIR and 2.03 version for the Cougar

Anyone have a clue about this problem ???
Aces High 2

Re: TIR and Cougar problem

Post by Aces High 2 »

Hi Mas,

Thanks for the great mission that you hosted on HL last night.

I have similar problems to you. After I installed the 2.02 and then 2.03 Cougar software I started getting all sort of errors. First the "pipe" error then the cougar loosing firmware or not being recognised on boot up etc. 2.03 sorted the pipe error but the other two problems still persist.

I started getting problem with TrackIR after installing v1.4 with the unit dropping out and not responding when using the key that I have mapped to one of the Cougar hats to activate track IR whilst it is held down. Sometimes TrackIR ceases to repond although when looking in the advanced section it would appear to still be picking up head movement . I just loaded the v2.00 TrackIR software last night and the problem persists. I had gone back to v1.03 previously as this was the last version that worked reliably for me. I flew your mission last night without TrackIR as it ceased to repond again. Still, I managed to bag a couple without it, heaven knows how as I hadn't a clue what way in the sky with me without TrackIR !

Don't know why these problem have started occuring but it's a real pain. Hope someone has some ideas.

Regards

Aces
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Hey guys I have a TIR & Cougar, im using the lates Cougar files and also the lates 2.0v TIR softwear and I dont have any promblems

I have/did have issues with my Cougar when I first got it and maybe able to help you, can you give me this info

Motherboard does it use a VIA chipset and if so what drivers are you using

Are you using onbard USB ports of do you have a PCI USB card

Are you usinga USB Hub ??, if so is it powerd ??

What video card are you using Nvidia, ATI ?? if Nvidia what drivers are you using.
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

I have had promblems with my Cougar in the past and I had to go to a seprate PCI USB card. Since then I havent had any promblems with my Cougar dropping out.

I have never had any drop out promblems with my TIR unit & my Cougar at all while beta testing version 2.0, also im not running XP SP1.
sweeper

Post by sweeper »

I just picked up a TrackIR and installed the V2.0 software. I have a Cougar and have been having problems with the Cougar when downloading profiles to the sticks with the TrackIR software running.

In every case Foxy downloads the program and reports back "Success".

One time the stick simply disappeared but I didn't notice until I was in IL2. When I quit IL2 the Cougar Control Panel issued an alert that the stick was disconnected, followed shortly by WindowsXP reporting an "Unknown USB Device has been found". Sure enough all of the HID and other USB devices normally found for the Cougar were missing.

Another time after "succesfully downloading", the stick was in a funky state where not all kepresses worked and some of the keys were "stuck".

In all cases unplugging the sticks and plugging them back in has solved the problem. (Thank the heavens it didn't blow away the firmware or otherwise corrupt the sticks).

I do not have these problems when the TrackIR software is not running when I download.

Just providing some info to NaturalPoint, hoping it help to debug the conflict between Cougar and TrackIR. For now I'll just be sure to quit TrackIR software before downloading to the sticks.
Aces High 2

Post by Aces High 2 »

Hi guys,

Thanks for coming back on the problem. I have my Cougar and TrackIR plugged into a 5 port (4 external + 1 internal) NEC USB PCI card. I used to have the VIA ports enabled on my Motherboard - ABIT KG7 RAID (now they are dissabled in BIOS and removed in Windows) but I lost about 10 FPS in IL2 with that arrangement and the PCI card solved that problem. I have an ATI 9700 pro video card as well. All was good until Cougar v2.02 and then the problems started but TrackIR was fine throughout until v1.4.

Last night I upldated my USB driver with the latest one from MS (same version but later date). I was running with the USB2 driver as installed by Windows XP Service pack 1. Originally, on installing the card I ran with the standard generic type Enhanced USB Controller device driver. Just now the boot process was a nightmare. TrackIR hardware not found repeatedly whenever I tried. Got me thinking and I re-installed the Generic Enhanced USB Controlled driver and so far so good, TrackIR and Cougar detected and running. I don't need USB2 as I don't have any USB2 devices, I bought the card purely to solve the FPS problem.

I will continue with the present USB driver and report back if this solves the problems long-term. It could have been the MS SP1 driver that was originally behind the problems.

Thanks again for your kind offers of assistance.

Regards and best wishes

Aces