trackIR and FPS games

Halstead York

trackIR and FPS games

Post by Halstead York »

So, I'm curious to know if anyone is using their trackIR to play first person shooters. In particular, we've been hearing the occasional rumbling about Operation: Flashpoint and Ghost Recon being popular games to use the trackIR with. On the other hand, we've heard that anyone who'd even think about it is just plain nuts.

Discuss.
Hotdognz

Re: trackIR and FPS games

Post by Hotdognz »

While Operation flashpoint is the game to use Track Ir in because you can seperate the head from the body by pressing the keypad * key it still didnt work too well because to shoot the gun acuratly you need to bring the gunsite up and Track IR gets a bit confused by it all, I tried it and it was quite cool running forward while looking left & right but I would join the body up with the head for shooting and switch track Ir off as it then controlled my movements which i wanted to keep using my mouse, what OPFP needs is a custom.dll file that only controlls the head movment and enables you too keep the mouse free as in normal FPS it would then work fine, maybe you can talk to the OPFP team as they are still patching and adding in new stuff to OPFP

In other FPS it just doesnt work too well as its not as easy to line up shots in games like CS, DOD & Unreal tornement where you need to be quick and acurate and thats really why a mouse is still best for FPS IMHOP.

I think one of the next big steps would be for Track Ir to be used in racing sims like Nascar 2002, EA F1 2002 these sims allready have look L & R via key strokes and I think it would be awsome to be able to look around the cockpit with a mouselook like IL2, EAW has.

[ October 15, 2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Hotdognz ]
rex

Post by rex »

I tried track ir with Medal of Honor Allied Assault.

The panning is the only part that would work.

As was stated in another post , the body and head are two different functions. I could turn my head but then I had to hold my head in a akward position. There was no centering, I found it easier to use the mouse and keyboard. I did assign 2 keys for a centering. In other words I glance to the left and move then use the left turn key to catch up to my view then I'm centered again and use the tracker to just glance around. The track ir just got in the way.

I tried keymapping which was working in the advanced page would would not function at all in the game.

Rex
Jason-Alaska

Post by Jason-Alaska »

I have it working in OFP useing the keyboard activation mode. I have a Belkin Nostromo (Left handed controler) that is programable. I assigned the TrackIR key to the same key as the mouse look. So one key turns it on. The same key then turns it off and centers your head back on your weapon sights.
TailFlamer

Post by TailFlamer »

Hi.

I have used it in Morrowind with good results, but since the items menu and fire are on the mouse, I have went back to it.

Tried it in Serious Sam 2 and it didn't work too well for that game. Too fast pace to be of any real use.

For me TIR is mainly for flight sims, and hopefully more racing sims will allow us to use it in them. It is prefect for these types of games, but FPS don't seem to work very well for me.
BlitzKrieg

Post by BlitzKrieg »

I think the main way to use the TrackIR in FPS is to use it as a Look Left, Look Right, Lean Left, Lean Right ect.... At least that is the way I plan on using it but need to wait on the new software, speaking of which Halstead Im still availible for beta testing as you requested way back when. Yup Im still hanging in there! Happy Holidays and Happy Gaming everyone.

[ December 31, 2002, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: BlitzKrieg ]
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I refer to a post one forum down:

Mapping keystrokes to axes

Skip ahead to the second page.

I use this method on every shooter that offers lean L,R and it's GREAT. Thing is, EVERY game that allows lean can be played with Track IR. Without lean, I don't see the point, like DOOM3.

To be honest, I almost prefer just leaning with TIR to full on ArmA style. That sh!+ is WHACK.

Some day I will do some video demos...