Arena on mac?

evengi

Arena on mac?

Post by evengi »

Hi.
My company will shortly purchase a mocap solution, and we like this one.
Does anyone have experience in running ARENA software in a virtual windows environment, on a mac?

All our current hardware, and licenses, are Mac based. So we'll stick with that. We could use a windows pc, and export data to our macs. But best case scenario, would be a boot camp etc.

Any ideas?

Roger
The_Nomad

Re: Arena on mac?

Post by The_Nomad »

I tried using Arena on a Mac with Bootcamp - it appeared to work fine. There were some issues using two OptiHubs, but they were XP-related and I understand have subsequently been fixed.

Can't say I've done the whole pipeline with a Mac, though.

I really wouldn't recommend running Arena in a virtualised Windows environment, but Bootcamp is actually running directly on the hardware, I believe.
evengi

Post by evengi »

Thanks Nomad! I guess I�ll be using bootcamp.

Roger
evengi

Post by evengi »

Could I export data directly from Arena to Maya?
The example files I�we found on this site(.c3d and .pt3), is of a format that Maya native don�read, and motionbuilder is not supported on the mac.
Is there a plugin I could download, or a different set of example-filetypes available for download? (I�we only found plugins supported by Pc version of Maya)

How big is the advantage of going through motionbuilder?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Roger
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Arena will also export via BVH, and FBX.
tvining

Post by tvining »

I use VM Ware Fusion instead of Bootcamp. It's cheap--$79--and super-stable, plus you can go from the windows environment to Mac and back live--Windows is just another window on your desktop, and you can even put a linked folder on your Windows desktop into your Mac environment.
evengi

Post by evengi »

I've used bootcamp, and Arena works fine on a mac running bootcamp, I'll take a look at VM Fusion. I've tried paralells, but it doesn't support enough USB�s.