Totally hands-free game list

TomNY

Totally hands-free game list

Post by TomNY »

I am a quadriplegic who cannot use my hands. I rely upon TrackIR for general mouse interaction. Otherwise, I use a fairly well-known speech-recognition program. I'm interested in hearing about games that are TOTALLY hands-free. If you know of one that is pretty good, list it here. I am a sports fan and grew up playing Strat-o-matic sports recreation games. These games have become computerized in recent years. I know that I can play Strat baseball and Strat football on the PC with TrackIR. These aren't really action games, they are more like strategy games where you make lineups and call plays, etc. Anyway, I enjoy them.

Any other good hands-free games out there?
TomNY

Re: Totally hands-free game list

Post by TomNY »

I hope we can keep a section open that lists PC games of any genre that are totally hands-free and enjoyable to play. I understand most users seem to use this product to enhance their gameplaying enjoyment in flight simulators. However, there are a great many of us who have disabilities and cannot use our hands well, if at all. I am one of the latter. I am looking for feedback on PC games of any genre that one can play TOTALLY hands-free just using the trackIR or the smartNAV. Otherwise, people with disabilities have to rely upon trial and error, which can really be a hit in the pocketbook.

Anyway, the last game I bought and tried was Rise of Nations, last year. Through Microsoft's telephone technical support, I was told how to play the game in a windowed mode, which allowed the TrackIR to remain up and running while I play. If I play online against other humans, I have a slight disadvantage, but can still compete. The computer in this game has various levels, and I find it makes an outstanding opponent. Additionally, when you play against the computer you can pause at will, which is helpful in a long game like this so you can take breaks to eat or take care of whatever needs you have [not to mention saving and loading]. I play this game totally hands-free and it's good.

After playing this for a while, I purchased the expansion pack, Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, and it also worked quite well.

TC
chip

Post by chip »

As a recent hand amputee, I've been looking into solutions to allow for enjoyable gameplay, too, so I'd like to add to his sentiment.

Fortunately I still have full use of my right hand, so it doesn't stop me from (most) RTSs...but I've never been a big fan sooo...

-Chip
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

hey guys,
i've been working with our smartNAV sales fellow, Kevin Fox, to put a list like this together.

It will probably end up here :
http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/pr ... aming.html

Also of interest, i've been spending a lot of time at these forums: http://www.igda.org/Forums
(which are all about accessibility in video gaming)

more later!

[ December 23, 2004, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Warren Blyth -webdev- ]
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

quote:...Through Microsoft's telephone technical support, I was told how to play the game in a windowed mode, which allowed the TrackIR to remain up and running while I play.2 questions here, TomNY:

1- Did the microsoft tech support tell you how to play ANY game in windowed mode? or just Rise of Nations?
(If there is a way to run any game in windowed mode, i'll need to get that info up on the SmartNAV3 website!)

2- Which NaturalPoint device are you using? A original TrackIR1? A recent SmartNAV3?
yerodin

Post by yerodin »

Hi Tom,

I play a lot of Total Club Manager 2005 recently. It's a soccer Manager from EA Sports (www.totalclubmanager.com). There are some (optional) keys if you want to view your games in 3d but text-mode works totally key-free as does the rest of the game.

I also played Rise of Nations but I didn't need to enter windowed mode (used a SmartNav 1).

Another great game that comes to mind is Civilization 3, though I think that all games that automatically scroll when you reach a screen border can be a PIA to play.

I don't know if your Voice Recognition Software allows for custom commands. If it doesn't you may want to try Game Commander (www.gamecommander.com) to activate key presses by voice commands.

[ December 23, 2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: yerodin ]
OneSwitch.org.uk

Post by OneSwitch.org.uk »

Does anyone know if MAME games can be played with TrackIR?

MAME runs thousands of emulated arcade games from the mid 1970's to date. It can be run in a window, or full screen, and allows user-defined keyboard control.

So, with the free TrackMapper software - there are many, many games theoretically playable....

So, does it work?!!

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

I am not sure how well this would work but golf sims like PGA tour 2004 or 2005 should be quite well suited for hands off gaming.

If there is an application that you can read up for keyboard commands.

But Tiger woods PGA tour 2004/2005 if you use mouse swing may be easier with trackIR lol. Careful so you don�t sustain neck injury lol.
TomNY

Post by TomNY »

quote:Originally posted by Warren Blyth -webdev-:
hey guys,
i've been working with our smartNAV sales fellow, Kevin Fox, to put a list like this together.

It will probably end up here :
http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/pr ... aming.html

Also of interest, i've been spending a lot of time at these forums: http://www.igda.org/Forums
(which are all about accessibility in video gaming)

more later!It is really great to have this constant resource available. I just wrapped up graduate school and returned to playing some games on the computer :-) it's great to be able to look at the links here and see what is available and changing.
Keep up the great work guys! A host of gamers with disabilities needs you. :-)
TomNY

Post by TomNY »

quote:Originally posted by Warren Blyth -webdev-:
quote:...Through Microsoft's telephone technical support, I was told how to play the game in a windowed mode, which allowed the TrackIR to remain up and running while I play.2 questions here, TomNY:

1- Did the microsoft tech support tell you how to play ANY game in windowed mode? or just Rise of Nations?
(If there is a way to run any game in windowed mode, i'll need to get that info up on the SmartNAV3 website!)

2- Which NaturalPoint device are you using? A original TrackIR1? A recent SmartNAV3?First off, I did try out Civilization III and it was a good game. The game I have been really going wild with this year is Rome: Total War. I contacted that company and they told me how to run that game in windowed mode as well. I don't remember if I even needed to run Civilization in windowed mode. I haven't played it lately.

It has been a while, so I don't quite remember, but the guy from "Rome" told me what I could generally do to try and get games into windowed mode. I don't really remember exactly what his advice was, so I basically have decided I will call each company when I purchase a particular game.

I purchased the "Voice Buddy" program which allows you to activate some game functions via voice commands while in the game. This has been VERY helpful. I don't know if I could play Rome without it. Another company, KY Enterprises, builds sip and puff joysticks that you control with your mouth. I used them in the early 90s for videogame systems like Sega Genesis and they were tremendous. They now advertise them for PC interaction as well, but my videogame days are kind of behind me and with that system, you really can't do anything else but play the game. I like to relax and pause and do things around my activity of playing a game. I hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning them here, but I'm trying to help out my disabled brethren :-)

I am right now using a Smart Nav. I purchased it from you guys several months ago and I use it in conjunction with the voice buddy.

I tend to avoid the fast-paced games, but was curious if anyone had success playing any of those hands-free, perhaps in conjunction with a voice program? Also, has anyone tried to play in a golf game hands-free and how has that worked?

Thanks guys! I love your product. I use it to surf on the computer all day long :-)

Tom

[ June 09, 2005, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: TomNY ]