Optihub extension cable

Dorsa

Optihub extension cable

Post by Dorsa »

Im using the tracking tools optihub with 5 cameras, but one of the cameras is connected to the hub by an extension usb cable. I tried a bunch of different extension cables, but only one of them is working. Im not sure why! Does the extension cable need to be a specific type compatible with the hub? The cable is connected to the third position of optihub.
VincentG

Re: Optihub extension cable

Post by VincentG »

Are you using an R2 camera?

You should only use the 5M USb cable, that we ship with the cameras for the connection between the camera and the OptiHub. As any extension cables are not design to for the OptiHub high powered mode, or the sync over USB signal that the Optihub uses with the R2 cameras.
Dorsa

Post by Dorsa »

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I am using 5 R2 cameras from natural points.
I need longer extension usb cords to connect the five cameras to optihub (since I have each camera at a corner of room on on-stage-stands that can go high to 10ft.) Does NaturalPoints have longer extension cords that are compatible? Or if it doesnt where does provide your usb cords, so I can contact them.
Currently one of the extension cords from the couple of different things I tried works but I need something longer.

Thanks,
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The max distance for a USB cable is 5 meters. Currently we do not support an additional USB extension cable to be used between the OptiHub, and the camera. If you are having distance issues with connecting all of the cameras to the hub, I would suggest getting an additional OptiHub, so you would have one for each side of the capture area.
Dorsa

Post by Dorsa »

Even if we get another optihub, we certainly need an extension cable for the USB cable that connects the optihub to computer, because the cable that is provided is only 16 ft. Does natural points support any extension cables for that USB cable?
(USB Cable : 16ft A to B (CBL1021))
Im wondered if anyone else had distance problems, because if you want to use optitrack system for larger applications you certainly need longer cables.
Birch

Post by Birch »

Yes, it is possible to use NaturalPoint qualified USB extension cables between the OptiHub and the PC.

An active extension cable is essentially a single port USB hub with a 5m cable built into it. According to the USB spec the Maximum permitted number of hubs connected in series is 5, although you may want to keep that number (hubs and extenders total) to 4 for best results.

Here is information from our website.
http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/s ... ables.html

USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable : 5m* $20
Extend the reach of USB hubs by 5m (16'+). This allows OptiTrack cameras to be located farther from the computer for larger capture volume sizes. Cables can be used in series (up to 3) for longer distances.

* Avoid using between cameras and USB Hubs