Max. Hub-to-Cam USB Cable length

LinusA

Max. Hub-to-Cam USB Cable length

Post by LinusA »

Hi, just another tiny question (couldn't find a definitive answer in the FAQ or forums):

Is the maximum USB cable length between the V100-R2 cams and the OptiHub 5 meters in total? Or can I extend this length with active USB 2.0 repeater cables?

Does that mean that if I've got a hexagonal 6-cam-setup and the 5m-cables are too short for 1 OptiHub, I can simply use 2 OptiHubs and divide the cams among them?
bsteagal

Re: Max. Hub-to-Cam USB Cable length

Post by bsteagal »

Hi LinusA

Yes, 5 meters is pretty much all you can do really. It is not recommended you connect a camera to an active USB and connect that to the powered hub... the active cables are mostly to extend from the Optihub to your pc.

The best way would be to have 2 optihubs... then put 3 and 3. This is the way I used it back on r1 cameras and regular powered hubs.... and it worked really well and then it distributes your load between the 2 USB controllers on your pc
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Part of the reason for not using USB extension cables between the camera, and the OptiHub, is that the active extension cables are not designed for the sync over USB, or the high powered mode for the R2 cameras.
LinusA

Post by LinusA »

Thanks very much for clearing that up!