Tracking Loss = Return to Center

Frederf

Tracking Loss = Return to Center

Post by Frederf »

You have no idea how much I'd like (an option) for TIR to return to center output if for some reason the track of the clip is lost for >T time.

You are playing some simulator with TIR and you set your headset/hat+clip down. Suddenly my character is looking at some neck breaking angle usually at my lap. Maybe you don't want to use the head controller anymore or the thing stopped tracking. It'd be much more useful is nearly every game I can think of for a loss of tracking to result in a (0,0,..0) output instead of frozen at the last output.
Seth Steiling

Re: Tracking Loss = Return to Center

Post by Seth Steiling »

The problem here is that, if you lose tracking when you're looking off to the side, and it recenters, now you have a misalignment between where your head is looking (to the side) and where your view is (centered). So, this would require a recenter to fix, which we'd like to avoid as much as possible.

We can chew on this idea internally, but this is my initial concern with it.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
LuPi

Re: Tracking Loss = Return to Center

Post by LuPi »

Make it optional ;)

I don't see the how it would "Need a recentre to fix" though.

1) you look in a certain direction and the camera follows you
2) you move out of view of the camera, the camera resets to centre
3) you move back into view, the view jumps back to looking where you are looking

Possible enhancement would be rather than having the view jump back, on loss of tracking decrease the angles with each request for position by the game so that they reach zero within X milliseconds - so the camera smoothly pans quickly back to the origin rather than a jump.
Once the track clip / reflector set has been detected again (moved back into view, and we know where it's facing and where it is) then quickly pan the view from the origin to the known values.