TIR5/Clip Pro + Win7 x64 = Sttttuuttteerrr

ryanbatc

TIR5/Clip Pro + Win7 x64 = Sttttuuttteerrr

Post by ryanbatc »

Did a format of my HDD to install Win7 x64 - coming from Vista x64.

Maybe it was a bad idea. I'm now receiving horrible stutters when flying FSX Acceleration with TIR5 + track clip pro.

As soon as I pause the camera, the stutters go away. I can then pan the VC with my joystick hat, zero issues. When I unpause TIR.... whammo! Stuttering nightmare..

Any suggestions? Using the latest 5.0 B software.
ryanbatc

Re: TIR5/Clip Pro + Win7 x64 = Sttttuuttteerrr

Post by ryanbatc »

Guys as an update, if you're having problems try this:

When the program runs, it defaults to the view of the degrees with your head etc etc. In the upper right corner, select panel view (the left most icon) and it will get rid of all the head movement, and only show the image from the profile.

I think having that head tracking part running in the background is screwing with something, video card driver-wise, and creating the stutters in FSX.

It is much much better now for me if I load the TIR5 software in panel view.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hey ryanbatc, thanks for the update. For reference, what GPU model and driver set are you running?
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
ryanbatc

Post by ryanbatc »

MSI 8800GT 512mb. Latest WHQL drivers...

As an update, this has not fixed my problem. I'm still getting bad stutters. I can get 50+fps and still with TIR running it's bad. When I pause, stutters go away...

The thing is, they come and go. Some flights are super smooth and some are not.

Can't think of what else to do.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

I wonder if you might be experiencing a conflict with either an FSX add-on (do you have any that affect the cockpit camera view?) or another hardware peripheral (like the hat switch on a HOTAS). Have you tried isolating TrackIR + FSX, with no add-ons or other peripherals involved (other than mouse/keyboard, of course), to see if you still have the same issues?

I'll point Vincent this way as well, as he might have additional thoughts.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

You are also running the TrackIR software minimized after starting?
ryanbatc

Post by ryanbatc »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Seth]I wonder if you might be experiencing a conflict with another hardware peripheral (like the hat switch on a HOTAS)..[/quote]

This is possibility. Though most users run multiple USB devices I'm sure of. I run a MS FFB2 stick and an old CH throttle that has a twitchy POV thumb stick. Maybe I'll disconnect the throttle and check.
Scratty

Post by Scratty »

I see that subject rises again, i am still working on that problem with FSX ACCEL + TIR5 + Win7 64

By that time i am figure out that stutters are happening when FSX grabs CPU load with constant periods by 100% or near 100% with minimum loss in performance at FSX side(tested on my core 2 duo 3.3). Looks like at that time it hangs simconnect communications or TIR5 software(most likely not, because setting TIR5 soft thread execution priority higher would not help much).

Here you can see FSX process performance log (http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4743/tirstutter.jpg) and when stutters happend, length about 10 minutes.
Logs maded without game interactions, except trackir, started dark&cold on TNCM airfield.
All other PC background services and applications were quiet and not using cpu and IO much. That log only from FSX app.
ryanbatc

Post by ryanbatc »

I've made some progress regarding this topic.

And I don't know why it's so apparent in Win7 vs Vista, but the level of frame rate variance (displayed using shift+z with cfg mod in FSX) is directly proportional to stutters experienced using Track IR.

Frames unlocked, with a low variance ( < 10%), panning is butter smooth. Unlocked, with high variance, stutters are introduced. They are bearable at less than %15, but anything greater makes it pointless to fly with TrackIR.

Another factor is locking the frame rate. When I lock my fps to say, 30, I get these nasty stutters too.

Why would the variance of frame rate be affecting the panning with TIR this much?

So, to the users flying FSX with locked frames, check your slider and set it to unlimited, then please report back. Win7 users please.
Scratty

Post by Scratty »

i always disabling the frame limit and set it to unlimited, because all viewpoint motions becoming perfectly smooth and i see no performance penalty during in game controls(mouse or keyboard), only trackir motions sometimes lagging and stutter.
Yes, by the way, when game is paused, trackir works perfect too ))