TrackIR 5.0/5.1 b3 crashes

z0ttel

TrackIR 5.0/5.1 b3 crashes

Post by z0ttel »

Hello everybody,

I was using my TrackIR 4 with the TrackIR software 5.0. Today I upgraded to TrackIR 5.1 b3 and since that, the TrackIR suite is not usable any more. Every time I start the software, the initial screen appears and after a few seconds (without showing the current "camera view" on the right side) the MS Windows error dialog ("TrackIR 5.0 has encountered a problem..." / On a german WinXP "TrackIR 5.1 hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss beendet werden.") shows up and after that, the software is shut down.

Then I tried to remove TrackIR 5.1 b3 and to reinstall TrackIR 5.0 again, but now the same error shows up, too. No matter what I do, the TrackIR software crashes all the time.

Latest version of TrackIR 4 seems to run fine; anyway, TrackIR 5.0 ran fine before too ;)

Any suggestions how to solve this?

My system runs on Windows XP SP3, TrackIR 4 and TrackIR 5.0. Graphics card is a nVidia GTX260 (till today)

Thanks a lot!
Wolve

Re: TrackIR 5.0/5.1 b3 crashes

Post by Wolve »

Hello z0ttel,

Well i used to get this problem too, but i fixed it. I seems that the 5.1 Beta 3 does not terminate the process properly wich leads to a application crash a system shutdown (herunterfahren-ausschalten). In this case you need to replace the stdole.tlb and for safety reasons reboot the whole thing. After that start trackIR 5.1 and see if it runs correctly. Then close it down, wait 20-30 seconds and open the taskmanager via right mouse button on the taskbar and choose taskmanager. Search for the trackIR 5.exe process, if it is still running terminate it (Prozess beenden). After all of this make a reboot and test if its still running. It should work now. It seems the crashes are damaging the stdole.tlb file. It could also be that the stdole.tlb or the stdole2.tlb or stdole32.tlb are missing or damaged, in my case it was only the stdole.tlb so i havent checked out those others.

All of this is in my thread to that theme, i would be happy if you could give me feedback on this solution.
http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... #Post46098
z0ttel

Post by z0ttel »

Hello Wolve,

thanks for your explanation (I already discovered your thread ;) ), but I didn't have a problem with TrackIR not shutting down properly. The problem was that it kept on crashing directly after starting the TrackIR5 software, no matter if I tried directly after a reboot or not.

But I was able to solve it - here's the magic ;) : frustrated by the software, I tried to start it using the commandline interface (yes, the small black window with the sh***y graphics ;) ) to see if there is any debug feedback given and it ran smoothly without any problems :o

Since that, I can the software the "classical" way by simply clicking on it - sounds strange, but this is how it worked for me.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

What drivers are installed for the TrackIR camera, within the system device manager itself?

**Graphics card is a nVidia GTX260 (till today)** - ?
z0ttel

Post by z0ttel »

Hello Vincent,

the driver version is 2.50.0.0 from 16.11.2009. The "(till today)" part belongs to something I wanted to write but then I decided against it and forgot to remove that part... :sleep:

Do you have an idea why starting the application using the CLI did work?

I can provide some more information on this issue: after the application crashed, I had a look at the "trdb.log" file. The last entry was "0xdf0: OpenGL Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation". Whereas after starting the application via CLI, the log continued there with the entry "0xdf0: 3D View initialized."

So maybe this issue is also related somehow to the GTX?

I also can confirm that the application doesn't shut down properly *sometimes* TrackIR5 then keeps on running in the task manager and needs to be shut down manually.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Does the TrackIR program launch appropriately from the windows GUI if you try to run as administrator?
z0ttel

Post by z0ttel »

The program has been started with administrative rights all the time, but it still crashed. Now (after running it from CLI once), I can start it via the windows GUI
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

When the program crashes through the GUI, does Windows log anything in the event log? Specifically, I would check application, system, and security.
z0ttel

Post by z0ttel »

Hello Mike,

there are two types of related entries in the applications log, depending on the occured error (those messages are taken from a german WinXP):

1) Application crashes
Quelle: Application Error
Kategorie: Keine
Ereigniskennung: 1000
Beschreibung: Fehlgeschlagene Anwendung trackir5.exe, Version 5.1.0.200, fehlgeschlagenes Modul ntdll.dll, Version 5.1.2600.5755, Fehleradresse 0x000369da.

2) Application hangs
Quelle: Application Hang
Kategorie: (101)
Ereigniskennung: 1002
Beschreibung: Stillstehende Anwendung TrackIR5.exe, Version 5.1.0.200, Stillstandmodul hungapp, Version 0.0.0.0, Stillstandadresse 0x00000000.

If I could add some attachments to this post, I would have added the related screen shots.

There are no more related entries in System, Security ... log