Test Drive Unlimited 2 -=officially announced=-

Bran

Test Drive Unlimited 2 -=officially announced=-

Post by Bran »

Hi guys,
it's me again. Today TDU 2 was officially announced by Atari & Eden Games. The Massively Open Online Racing (M.O.O.R.) game will switch seamless between online and offline mode.
Dynamic weather effects, dynamic day-/night-times changes and a damage system will be included. But read for yourself:

http://www.testdriveunlimited2.com/

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,705846/Test-D ... s/PC/News/

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/sport/459 ... ted_2.html

Ok guys...its your turn now ;)
cheers
BRAN
Seth Steiling

Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 -=officially announced=-

Post by Seth Steiling »

I've had a bit of dialog on this with Eden, and they seem pretty open. As of yet, I haven't received a solid yes or no, though. I'll ping them again to see if they've given it further consideration.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
lmimmfn

Post by lmimmfn »

cmon is there no update on this? TDU1 had track IR its a disgrace if TDU2 doesnt support it
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

We've been in discussion with Eden games about TDU2 for a couple of years now. From the beginning they've been positive about the idea, but not committed to it officially. So, like you, we are waiting until we hear more from them. Since the decision is theirs to make, you'll need to contact them directly if you're looking for a more concrete answer.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
lmimmfn

Post by lmimmfn »

Thanks for the reply, dont worry ive been onto them :) ( along with a lot of others )
TailFlamer

Post by TailFlamer »

TDU2 has gone gold. Release dates are Feb. 8 for NA and Feb. 11 for Europe.
Expect game updates to soon follow. A few features that were in TDU WILL NOT be in the release version, [color:#CC0000]including TrackIR[/color].
It may be added after release if demand is high enough. So, anyone wishing to have support for TIR, please be sure to post at the official site. Myself and others have expressed our desire for TIR, but we need everyones support if this is to be added.
For now, I am not buying the game. When I find out TIR is in it, then I will get.

Please help to show the devs that leaving out TrackIR was a mistake.
I am not asking you to boycott the game, only to let them know you are upset it isn't there.
Good luck :)
Octave88

Post by Octave88 »

In my opinion... I think this STINKS.. plunked down all that cash for a peripheral that is quite useless lately.. Shift came out without trackir support (added by a fan with a hack later on, yet the devs couldn't add it). And now a game that originally supported it.. all of a sudden doesn't. What gives.

If this is the trend I will be very careful on purchasing a expensive peripheral that is not supported in current 2011 games.. specifically in a game that it was originally supported on.

If there are a waning amount of games.. how are you guys going to make money? I certainly will not have a need to purchase a new trackir if this trend continues.

I turned on this game.. and was immediately disappointed in the lack of tracker support, yet they have a press mouse button and move the mouse around to look. So now I have to steer.. shift.. and move the mouse around to drive.

I hope you guys can persuade the devs of this game to add the support for the trackir. I have left a couple of posts regarding it and I will not rest.

I am curious as to know why they decided not to implement it in the end.. From what I've read up on this site.. you guys say that it is not hard to implement, or it it another matter entirely???
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

I've been in conversation with the developers for both TDU and Shift, and the response has not been heartening. It appears that an emphasis on console-level development is emerging. A direct quote from one of these games' developers:

"As _______ is primarily a console title we've not been able to prioritize support for TrackIR unfortunately."

I read that as: this is a console port. Don't expect any PC-centric development. (Sadly.)

We share your frustration over this. But, in each case, there is only one party can that remedy the situation: the game's developer. It is outside of our control, unless we resort to hacking TrackIR support into a game via view mod--an approach that we are not anxious to pursue, for many reasons. If you really want to change the decision, you need to lobby the game devs. Rest assured that we're 100% willing to support them in any way possible (and both devs do have all the tools they need from us to integrate TrackIR at this time).

If you'd like to base your race game purchases on whether they support TrackIR, keep on the lookout for DiRT 3 and rFactor 2, both of which should have TrackIR support.

Other games to look forward to (not guaranteed support, but games that the developers have expressed interest in supporting with TrackIR):

Battlefield 3
Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad
Jumpgate Evolution
Storm of War: Battle of Britain
DCS: A10
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
TailFlamer

Post by TailFlamer »

Thank you for the information Seth.

I decided some time ago I wasn't buying the game, if TIR wasn't in it. There have been a lot of people requesting it. If this is the future of gaming, I am going to be far more selective in what I buy.
I mean heck, why support a game where their devs don't support their customers?
TIR isn't the only thing TDU2 doesn't support. It has very poor wheel support at present. Seems like more and more games are nothing more than GFX with poor code. I suppose the consoles are the reason, but thankfully there are still some good PC exclusive games on the market and more coming.
And to think, they are trying to tell people TDU2 PC version isn't a port. What is that old saying about a 'duck', lol.

Oh well, I'm not giving up hope yet, but it like holding onto the bow rail after the rest of the boat has gone under and thinking, it ain't sank yet...

Sad is what it is,,,, plain sad.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

There are definitely good titles coming, but I share your frustration over the homogenization in development that's been emerging over the past few years.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack