Projector user - need to extend range of TrackIR 5

Kianoni

Re: Projector user - need to extend range of TrackIR 5

Post by Kianoni »

Well, it shouldn't be hard to position the camera on your left or right (then just swap yaw and roll) - I don't know how much detail you would loose if any but there's no way to test as the software doesn't have an option to do that :)

This option would greatly benefit all users that have are using a similar setup and would extend the products capabilities.
GunSlingerAUS

Post by GunSlingerAUS »

Ok folks, I've ordered the TrackClip PRO to see if that helps. Wish me luck!
neutronwildcard

Post by neutronwildcard »

Hey GunSlingerAUS,

I have a similar setup but with a 50" plasma screen instead. I am having a similar dilemma as you and was wondering if the TrackClip PRO worked for you and the advice given by the other members.
aileron2992

Post by aileron2992 »

My first post...

This isn't a very practical idea, but i'm just throwing it out there for people willing to consider it:

TrackIR probably performs best when used the way it was originally designed(obviously...) - sitting on a monitor inches ahead of you(whether you're using TrackClipPRO or regular clip).

You can still have this "default distance" configuration with a projector setup, if you're willing to do a small DIY project, by simply hanging the TrackIR from the ceiling(or building something rigid that would hang the TrackIR above/in front of you, from behind).

That projected image you're looking at might as well be a monitor sitting one feet in front of you. Hang the TrackIR from the ceiling so that it "sits" right above the image. Tada!

Your PC would ideally be located behind you, as it probably already is. The TrackIR cord would be able to reach your PC, wherever it is, by using "USB 2.0 Active Extension Cables." It's doable if you're DIY savvy, don't project the image through the ceiling contraption(creating a shadow), and don't have a girlfriend that will kill you for the ceiling hanging stuff.

Best Regards,

p.s: OFF TOPIC; any flight sim/trackIR users out there STILL not aware of "wiimote touch screen"(not my video - http://youtu.be/aLkfx6QxLfg ) please check it out/spread the word/enjoy it along with your TrackIR!!! awesome stuff.
Last edited by aileron2992 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Great idea! Also, of the back of your head is exposed, you can mount the TrackIR camera behind you, and invert the Pitch, Roll, Z, and X axes for the same effect. Yaw and Y do not need to be inverted in this setup.