BF2

Lith1um

Re: BF2

Post by Lith1um »

tir3 "should" be able to run it the same way Im running it with my tir2.

You just need the latest driver with mouse emulation enabled?
droz

Post by droz »

I don't see mouse emulation in the 4.xx drivers.
mmed

Post by mmed »

In the "TrackIR v4" folder in your "Start Menu" you will find a program called "Mouse Emulation".
jonaan

Post by jonaan »

quote:Originally posted by Lith1um:

I normaly use the tir hotkey to enable/disable tir when im playing as infantry, although I do use it when playing as infantry when Im in the mood to do so.How well does infantry mode work for you? I'm disabled and have limited use of my hands so I depend on a Saitek (P880) gamepad to play BF2 with it. Everything is fine as infantry save for the lack of precision aiming. I use the left thumbpad for moving forward/back/strafe and right thumbpad for aiming/turning. But if I can somehow use an alternative to aim it would make the game much more enjoyable given I can't do the keyboard/mouse combo most FPS players do.

So to recap, how precise does the system work in terms of functioning as the 'mouse' does in BF2? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

I'm also going to be creating another thread to address more details.. will link it here.. my other post

[ July 13, 2005, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: brianh ]
777 Burnin AVG

Post by 777 Burnin AVG »

Brian,

Enabling mouse look works pretty well in BF2. It's not going to be quite as precise as a mouse, but it is still pretty good. It can certainly fill in for a mouse if you are in a pinch. I don't know exactly how bad your condition is and I am no expert on your illness, but I think a SmartNAV would work pretty well in your case. What's cool about the SmartNAV is that you can use both Software sets. One for Navigating the desktop and one for playing games. I've instructed Kevin out SmartNAV manager to respond to your other post as well.

Jason

[ July 13, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Jason ]
jonaan

Post by jonaan »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Jason:
Brian,

Enabling mouse look works pretty well in BF2. It's not going to be quite as precise as a mouse, but it is still pretty good. It can certainly fill in for a mouse if you are in a pinch. I don't know exactly how bad your condition is and I am no expert on your illness, but I think a SmartNAV would work pretty well in your case. What's cool about the SmartNAV is that you can use both Software sets. One for Navigating the desktop and one for playing games. I've instructed Kevin out SmartNAV manager to respond to your other post as well.

JasonI spoke to Kevin today and ended up ordering a SmartNAV which I hope to have for weekend. I look forward to seeing his response and appreciate the (potential) customer care shown.

Thanks,
Brian
jonaan

Post by jonaan »

Got the SmartNAV in mail on Friday and have been playing with it some this weekend on BF2. One HUGE issue I'm having is that the 'mouse cursor' does not function like a regular mouse in the game. (Game in Windows mode, not fullscreen.) With regular mouse, as you move the cursor the screen moves and continues moving until you bring it back towards center. With SmartNAV if I'm looking north and turn west it'll stop midways and not continue going. And if I turn my head back to centered position I'm facing north again. Meaning I can't do a 180 degree turn in-game.

Am I missing a setting here?

Otherwise the SmartNAV functions well with regular desktop applications but I've got a dual monitor and may want to isolate the SmartNAV to the monitor in front of me instead of roaming to the secondary which is to me right.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Actually, this is how a mouse functions, but the populace have grown used to picking up their mice and put it down somewhere else, very fast, so they can move endlessly in any direction.

There three solutions for our technology, that i'm aware of :

1. You can enable and disable the device (using the "pause" hotkey - f9 by default) to mimic "picking up the mouse".
Ie, when your head goes as far right as possible, turn pause on, move your head all the way left, turn pause off, and you can continue to move right.
this only works in SmartNAV's relative mouse mode. (absolute mode will remember your center point, and thus ignore this trick).
The problem with this approach is that you'd need to perform it A LOT while playing a fast paced game like BF2, which could end up being hard on the neck. Please be careful with this.

2. SmartNAV users can also use the TrackIR software's new "mouse emulation" application. In this app there is an option for "X Axis Auto Panning"
this lets you set zones at the right and left of your screen (you can change the size of these zones). Then when you move into them, your in-game view will continue to move forever.
This approach may be problematic for SmartNAV users because it requires use of the TrackIR software. It has also proven to be the slowest of these 3 solutions, because you have to wait on the panning speed.

3. You can use the device to augment movement controls from your keyboard and/or joystick. Most games will let you assign "turn left / right" to your keyboard or joystick (though they are usually turned off by default). I'll check this out in BF2 tonight to make sure it offers this option.
So, you can assign these functions to whatever works best, and use these to help move your in-game view further (when you hit that mouse turn limit).

These are my suggestions. Hope they help, Brianh.
Please let me know.
I'll forward this thread to product managers for SmartNAV and TrackIR as well.

[ July 18, 2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
kevin

Post by kevin »

For fast paced games I would check out this site: http://www.csnation.net/articles.php/71/

It is an interview with Bobby, who uses a head tracking system in conjunction with a sip/puff switch and Voice Commander and plays CounterStrike totally hands free. Here is a link to his personal site, it has some cool stuff on it as well: http://www.wudup.net/

With Warren's suggestions, a click switch, and Voice Commander you should be able to use BF2 totally hands free!
Lith1um

Post by Lith1um »

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I just noticed your post today.

I guess Im kinda late, so I'll play captain obvious.

You may have to tweak mouse sensitivity in bf2 to a suitable balance.

If sensitivity is high enough, you can do a 180 without lifting your mouse.

First thing I do in a new fps game is set mouse sens so I can do a 180 at the flick of a wrist. You may find this too sensitive for your purpose though, so try to find a happy medium that allows fast movement and acceptable fine control.

[ August 13, 2005, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Lith1um ]