How can I get TrackIR3 to work under Windows 7 64-bit?

oyaji

How can I get TrackIR3 to work under Windows 7 64-bit?

Post by oyaji »

Back in early (January?) 2005 I upgraded from TrackIR2 to TrackIR3, and purchased serial # 26091. At the the time, I was very disappointed to find that I couldn't really use it with WWII Online (now called Battleground Europe) because of lag "stutters" in the game that caused me to be all but airsick when flying in their virtual campaign. I regretfully put it away in its original packaging and shelved it.

Now WWIIOL is vastly improved, and I also have a better computer than before, running Windows 7 64-bit, so I pulled out my old TrackIR to see if I could get it to work. I downloaded the most recent driver (5.1.200 Build 9414) because the downloads page said that TIR3 would work with Win7 now. But when I did the installation and plugged in my TIR3, I can only get a red light to come on when I press the F9 key.

Can you help me to get this thing working? I only used it for about 3 weeks when it was brand new, which is a real shame considering the accolades I have heard. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I did not buy the Vector Expansion pack because WWIIOL only has 2 DOF for views, and it is the only game I play.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

Extreme_One

Re: How can I get TrackIR3 to work under Windows 7 64-bit?

Post by Extreme_One »

I'm pretty certain the version 5 software only supports Vector clip.

Download TrackIR_4.1.038.Final and you'll be good to go!
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Simon is correct. TrackIR 4 software is necessary for 2 DOF dot tracking.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
oyaji

Post by oyaji »

Thank you both for your replies.

I just downloaded the v4.1.038.Final driver, but when I tried to install it I got the error message "this is not a valid application". I DL'd and retried a total of 4 times with the same result.

Does this not work with Windows 7 64-bit?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Oyaji,

It should work with Win7 64. Try this download instead and see if it fixes the problem:

http://media.naturalpoint.com/ftp/npupl ... x.9841.exe
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
oyaji

Post by oyaji »

Thank you for the additional driver suggestion. I did get it to install, but I've had no better luck with it, although I did manage to get the green light to come on.

My TrackIR3 has been sitting on the shelf unused now since early 2005 when I bought it. I got no use from it at all except for 3 weeks of strobe-like stuttering framerate (that was doubtless due to issues with the one game that I play, WWIIOL). I'd really like to get some use from it after all these years (it wasn't exactly cheap) - is there something I am doing wrong or could do better? It is true that I am about 2 generations older than the current "whizz-kids" who grew up with computers and cannot remember a time before them, so I am more than a little slow in comparison to them when it comes to things computer-related (though I can usually arrive at solutions, eventually).

TIR3 worked for me in the first 5 minutes when I first installed it 6 years ago. This time I had installed the TIR5 software and tried to delete it, then install the TIR4 software, then tried deleting it, then tried the latest driver you recommended. Could it be that old pieces of the other drivers are inferfering with the latest install attempt? Do I need to format my HDD and start over? (I hope not - that would take me at least a week. I could pay somebody to help me but he would probably just lose/delete some of my info on my HDD again, and I don't want that.)

Do you have or can you recommend a utility that will clean out all the old pieces of TIR drivers so I can start afresh, or suggest some other course of action? Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

PS - could this be a problem? my Avira anit-virus program turned this up in a scan as a Trojan: TIRviews.dll is shown as a virus called TR/Dropper.Gen2. It gave the following info:

Summary Full description Statistics Virus: TR/Dropper.Gen2
Date discovered: 07/10/2009
Type: Trojan
Subtype: Dropper
In the wild: Yes
Reported Infections: Low
Distribution Potential: Low
Damage Potential: Low
Static file: No
Engine version: 7.09.01.35

General Alias:

Similar detection:
� TR/Dropper.Gen

Side effects:
� Drops malicious files

Description inserted by Andrei Ivanes on Monday, October 12, 2009
Description updated by Andrei Ivanes on Thursday, March 10, 2011

Here is the URL: http://www.avira.com/en/support-threats ... n2/track/1
oyaji

Post by oyaji »

As I noted above in my previous posting, Avira Aniti-virus program thinks that part of the TrackIR driver is a virus.

Any advice from here?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Updating the Avira definition file should alleviate the issue, according to Avira.
heloego

Post by heloego »

Download TrackIR_4.1.038.Final and you'll be good to go!
Yeah, right.
My TIR 3 is directly connected to the USB port on the front of my PC. ( Nothing wrong with the USB port, as it works for everything else.)
I have downloaded and installed every version since v3.13 and none of them will get my W7 64-bit system to connect to the TIR 3 unit.
Manual attempts to install/update the drivers in System Device Manager keep telling me there are no drivers in the Drivers files.
On one occasion I actually got a message stating that the drivers did not install, indicating that there are in fact drivers somewhere.
The most I get otherwise is a notification in Device Mananger that I have an "unknown device".

All versions default to the Program Files (x86) folder, which seems odd to me since they are supposed to be 64-bit drivers.

I even followed the suggestion to DL and install v3.13 with a followup install of v4.1.038 Final latest and greatest. No luck.
v5.1 doesn't work,and v4.xx.xxx.9841 didn't help, either.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
I've used this thing for over 5 years for IL-2 with zero problems in XP 32-bit, but in W7 64-bit it's as if all bets are off.

1st Question: Is "Program Files (x86)" the correct folder to install to?
2nd Question: If not, what is the correct folder for the installation?
3rd Question: What version is the correct version (directed to the proper folder) to drive my TIR 3?

Edit: I use Avast Antivirus, but always turn it off prior to any software install.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit new to W7.
oyaji

Post by oyaji »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Mike]Updating the Avira definition file should alleviate the issue, according to Avira. [/quote]

Welp - I update Avira Antivirus at least once daily, and still no luck: every scan I run turns up that TrackIR file. Cannot Naturalpoint contact Avira and let them know that their driver is being detected as a false-positive report of a virus?

Even when I set Avira to ignore TIR files, I still cannot get my TIR3 to work with Windows 7. I've had it now for 6 years and have not gotten even a month's use out of it.