M.A.M.E. With TrackIR

OneSwitch.org.uk

M.A.M.E. With TrackIR

Post by OneSwitch.org.uk »

Is it possible to play MAME arcade games using Track-IR?

For instance, can Space Invaders be played?

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk
warrenEBB

Re: M.A.M.E. With TrackIR

Post by warrenEBB »

Hi Barrie,
Lemme step back and explain why the answer is no :

-The TrackIR is a new kind of PC input, for view control in 3D games.
it is not meant to be a mouse, keyboard, or joystick.
(it's meant to work as a 4th kind of input. It's meant to work alongside these established controllers).

If you want to replace PC input, it's best to look at SmartNAV.

now let me shrug and mention how the answer could be yes, technically (but not recommended)

I assume you can control space invaders with a
mouse and some keys.
This is not recommended for the TrackIR. but technically, you can download the old software (3.13),
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/sup ... loads.html

and download the third party keyboard emulator application (kafuji's trackMapper)
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/games/allgames.html

Now you can mis-use a trackir as a mouse and a keyboard. We dont' support this approach currently.

Again, If you'd like to talk about doing this in some official fashion, it'd be best to talk to our smartnav rep, Kevin fox.

(in fact, i'll put it on my list to test out with SmartNAV. i haven't yet tried to use SmartNAV with a MAME game, nor have i tried the trackmapper with it. so, more in a couple weeks)

[ February 21, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
OneSwitch.org.uk

Thanks for the info, so far Warren. TrackIR or SmartNAV - just wondering which would work best with a game like Galaxian or Pac-Man?

Best wishes,

Barrie
OneSwitch.org.uk

Any news yet on MAME with TrackIR or SmartNAV? Does it work?

Thanks,

Barrie
ErikRuud

Post by ErikRuud »

Here is something to think about in regards to MAME.

Many people that use MAME are desperately searching for a good replacement for "light guns".

It seems to me that TrakIR with the Vector Expansion is really close to what we need.

eReal games is supposed to working on a PC driver for there RGT system which uses a camera and a gun with a pair of IR led's on it.

The Vector Expansion system with it's 6DOF would be free of the calibration problems that the RGT system has when the distance between the user and the camera changes.

Many other PC shooter games would also benefit from this.

Have you given a thought to this type of system?
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

-the SmartNAV will work as a mouse in any game that supports a mouse.

but many of these MAME games rely on keystrokes.

you can use a third party application called "TrackMapper" to assign and trigger keystrokes when moving your head around.
but this app was created using the TrackIR SDK.
so it only works if you are running the TrackIR software.
so SmartNAV users would need to install TrackIR software (which currently works with any SmartNAV), and then the TrackMapper.
Ie, they'll probably need help.
you can't run SmartNAV and TrackIR software at the same time.

We will look into setting up something like the trackMapper for the SmartNAV software, but this will take time (like a year).
There are many different ideas in the queue right now, and many different arguments for each idea.

-We have not persued a light gun specifically. It was been discussed as an idea about 4 years ago, but it didn't seem worth it at the time.

I will talk to our programmers and bosses and get their opinions, as best i can.

the big question will probably be : how many people want a light gun?

-in general, the best way to speed anything up at naturalpoint is to point out how many people it could reach.
i think we're currently much more focused on establishing a 4th input for every gamer (that works alongside mouse, keyboard, joystick) than in offering a passable emulation of things that already exist.

but this is why we have discussion forums! please discuss!

[ March 08, 2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
ErikRuud

Post by ErikRuud »

I can't put a number on the number of people that want a light gun.

I can point out that the Act Labs PC USB Light Guns were discontinued and are now selling for $150.00 or more on EBay. These originally retailed at $40.00 and they were the best option available for PC users in need of a light gun. There are many PC games that could use a light gun or some other gun system.

LIght guns seem to sell well for console systems as well.

Many of the games that could use a light gun, only use the left and right mouse butons.

If the TrackIR/Vector Expansion software could be setup to track a controller with three IR LED's, I imagine that you should be able to use one of those LEDs to flash codes to trigger the appropriate actions.

The key to a good visually tracked light gun is that the tracking be true 3D with cursor location based on where the gun is pointed.

If the eRaelGames RGT system is released for PC use, it would be better than previous light guns, but it does not give 6DOF and the calibration can be thrown off if the user changes his position.

[ March 09, 2005, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: ErikRuud ]
Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock »

I have just had some fun with Operation Wolf in MAME, with the help of TIRMouse.

Of course, the head movement does not work as well as the mouse, but it is fun nevertheless... You just have to look somewhere to bring there death and destruction... A truly "Evil Gaze", indeed!

But I experimented some more. First I attached the dot to the tip of my finger (held out in a "gun" gesture) and tried to point out a few baddies. That was quite interesting! The precision was much greater, almost like a mouse. I suppose that with practice it could be a good replacement (oh, I know, Wayne does not like this word).

But the third experiment was the best. I attached the dot to the end of a long stick (a Chinese sword with scabbard, actually...) and held it like a rifle. It turned out that I had to adjust the sensitivity a lot - as it was quite long, every little movement of my body made a great difference. But, the feeling was great - aiming with arms AND body made it much more intuitive and natural.

Of course there are some minors problems - the buttons (if you really need them, you could gut a wireless mouse - they get cheaper every day - pair that with an electric toy gun ) and the aim has to be offset from the center a little bit, as the camera is on or at the side of the monitor. Still, it is worth a try.

Considering that MAME is quite open and friendly community, I think it will not take much to get them to support TrackIR in native mode, if they see the potential of the "virtual lightgun". And I would not underestimate the potential market either - these are guys who have their arcade controls custom-made...
Dolphin Cat

Post by Dolphin Cat »

I've played a couple of Nintendo emulations on project 64 by using the n-rage controller plug-in to map the mouse (smartnav) to the analog XY. Star Fox is the only game I tried but I got to level 3 which is about half an hour of play.

If anyone finds some good n 64 games to play I'd be interested!
MCPony

Post by MCPony »

With trackir would the light gun really just be a plactic toy gun with a 3M reflector on it?

suppose you need a trigger to tho