Persistent bluescreen, windows 7 with radeon card

fezmonkey

Persistent bluescreen, windows 7 with radeon card

Post by fezmonkey »

The TrackIR software causes a bluescreen for me under these circumstances:

1. Clicking the "Panel and HeadsUp Views" button in the upper-right
2. Clicking the HeadsUp view (also in upper-right), followed by clicking the Panel View button
3. Trying to rebind any hotkey to a keyboard key. I get a bluescreen as soon as I enter the new keyboard hotkey when it prompts me for one.

I am using TrackIR software 5.1.300 (Build 9945). If I downgrade to version 4.1 (build 38) there does not appear to be any bluescreen issues for me.

I can reproduce the issue every time.

TrackIR works fine in games. This is a problem with the TrackIR software itself and not related to any particular game title.

The issue started hapening sometime after I upgraded my video card and video drivers. Previously I was running a radeon 5850 with an older catalyst version (not sure of the number, but it was in the 11.x range). I upgraded both video card and catalyst software and now this trackir issue started occurring. Before the upgrade I had no problems with trackir whatsoever.

Here is some more system information:

CPU: i7-2600K overclocked to 4.4ghz
RAM: 16gb
GPU: Radeon 6950
GPU Software: Catalyst version 11.7
TrackIR hardware: TrackIR 5 #123799

If anybody has any information on this issue it would be most appreciated. It's kind of annoying not to be able to change the key bindings for centering and pausing the trackir camera.

EDIT: issue mostly resolved by downgrading to version 4.1 of the trackir software. The downgrade did add a few little annoyances though. First, there appears to be no way to disable the status LEDs on the trackir. Second, there seems no way to get a perfect 1:1 mapping between physical head movement and in-game movement. I was able to approximate one after messing with the built-in "Linear" movement curve, but I had to fiddle with each axis individually. For the status LEDs I suppose I'll try taping them so no light shines through.
Last edited by fezmonkey on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: found a workaround