Detecting red laser beam by using Optitrack V100:R2

a.atay

Detecting red laser beam by using Optitrack V100:R2

Post by a.atay »

I put my cameras in front of screens. I will give corner coordinates of screens to the cameras. Then by pointing red laser beam to the screens, I aim that I will be able to get coordinates of the laser point. Main issue is I dont know how to use these cameras to just see the red laser beam. Laser beam can not be seen in any threshold or exposure value unlike reflective markers. How can i do that? Is it possible to just track red color in these cameras? I use only Camera SDK for my project. I am kinda new to these issues, so thanks for your tolerance from now..
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Detecting red laser beam by using Optitrack V100:R2

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Could you post a link to the spec sheet for the laser? V100R2 cameras have an 800nm high pass IR filter, so if the light emitted by the laser is not in the IR spectrum, it's not visible to the cameras.
a.atay

Post by a.atay »

I couldn't find the spec sheet but I think it has 650nm wavelength because it is a cheap and common laser which is found in nearly every office store around here. Should I buy a laser which has higher wavelength in this case?
LinusA

Post by LinusA »

I guess you don't have V100:R2 cams with FS (filter switcher) technology? In that case you could just disable the IR band pass filter.

Otherwise yes, you'd have to buy a an IR laser with about 800nm wavelength. They can be particulary dangerouse, as you cannot see the beam, while it can still cause damage to the eye (as there is no protective lid closing reflex)! You might want to consider also buying protective goggles with an IR blocking filter, matching the wavelength of that IR laser.
LinusA

Post by LinusA »

Oh, and, are you sure it has to be a laser beam (I mean, you wouldn't see the beam in air anyway, only the spot where it hits the cam)? Are you sure you can't just use regular retroreflective markers? I mean, that's the whole point of V100:R2 cams. Otherwise "regular" cams would do, especially if you want to detect the red color of a certain laser...
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

The filter in the cameras is 800nm high pass, optimum laser wavelength would be 850nm. Also, LinusA is 100% right on the saftey precautions.