Battlefield 3

Seth Steiling

Re: Battlefield 3

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=mikelaw]HEY SETH, any movement on BF3 TRACK IR integration? [/quote]
The latest news from DICE is that they fell behind on development a bit, so most support of third-party devices has been trimmed for release. This includes TrackIR. They are open to supporting TrackIR after release, in a patch.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe »

Just a bump on this thread. There is a new video out Today and it is showing free mouse support. So maybe there is hope

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8S_eEv_ ... detailpage[/video]
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

From everything I've heard, BF3 really is nicely set up to receive TrackIR support, from a technical standpoint. Certainly way more than most FPS games that we've pitched support for. At this point it's up to DICE to determine if they'll implement, and I think that will largely be guided by the feedback from the community. Of course, we'll continue to request support from our end, as well. :)

So... keep it up guys!
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Jonesyy

Post by Jonesyy »

Hey Seth, I'm a new avid Flight Simmer who has just decided to invest in TrackIR 5 hardware and boy, do I hope this thing takes off. It takes immersion to a whole new level from the videos I have seen (my unit is in front of me, waiting for me to take it home to try out in IL-2) and I cannot wait to take it for a spin so to speak.

The ability to move your head without moving your gun in Arma II seems to me like adding a third dimension. The ability to use the WASD keys to move, the mouse to move the gun-sight and your head to move the camera adds unprecedented immersion and advantages. We can now really be aware of our surroundings, and the only way it can be improved is to perhaps find a replacement for the hat-reflectors/track clip pro. I was thinking simple stick-on reflectors that can be put on our foreheads perhaps, but I digress (I am getting excited).

I sincerely hope DICE invests in this product in the end. Not only will it offer great new opportunities to us gamers and a totally new way to look at gaming, but I would be very excited for the revenue jump for Natural Point from the new onslaught of people wanting the device.

It truly is innovative, and revolutionary and I wish you all the luck in the world for it to become 'mainstream'. Already being a great product, I'm sure money being irrelevant you have ideas that right now would excite and entice anybody.

Once again, good luck and thank you for such a great product. I'll be promoting this on the DICE and COD MW 3 forums for that matter.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Thanks for the kind words, Jonesy. Enjoy your new TrackIR! :)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
JumpArtist

Post by JumpArtist »

Im so glad that there are more peopl than just me that want this in! Its seems so simple I wonder what their hang up is? I have revived the Topic on their forums Please all go vote for this!
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5461349.page
JumpArtist

Post by JumpArtist »

So, Still no word from DICE? Im a littel discouraged. Someone found a way to do FREETRACK and posted it on the BF3 EA forums and it got deleted!!!!!! What are DICE so afraid of???
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

As indicated above, "the latest news from DICE is that they fell behind on development a bit, so most support of third-party devices has been trimmed for release. This includes TrackIR. They are open to supporting TrackIR after release, in a patch."

We'll certainly update everyone once we know more.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
rz22g

Post by rz22g »

Unfortunately I think TrackIR is going to slowly fade away. The only thing prolonging it is the current support. Without new support for popular titles it will only last so long. I think consoles have played a big role in this. Games use to be geared to the PC then ported to console but that has reversed now. Natural Point needs new support or a way to implement use without relying completely on the developer. I know that is unlikely but there you go.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

We totally agree that new titles are the lifeblood for continued TrackIR success, and we're always working to secure support in games where head tracking makes sense. Battlefield 3 is right up at the top of our list for important targets, and we've been talking to DICE for a while about it now. We continue to be optimistic about patched-in support coming down the road.

Having said that, with or without BF3 things are still looking good with upcoming and recently-released titles, including:

Arma 3
Take On Helicopters
rFactor 2
C.A.R.S.
Mach 1
Miner Wars
Arvoch Alliance
F1 2011
Microsoft Flight
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
DiRT 3
DCS: A-10C Warthog
OMSI Bus Simulator

Recently modded games include:

Need For Speed SHIFT
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010
WRC 2010
Test Drive Unlimited 2
RailWorks 2

In addition to BF3, we're also hoping for post-release support in Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad.

You are correct, though, that the gaming market as a whole continues to shift toward consoles. PC gaming is still very viable, but some publishers heavily prioritize development based on the thresholds of the most profitable platform, and that rarely is considered to be the PC. So, console restrictions do meaningfully restrict both quality and innovation on the PC side in many cases. It's a sad trend.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack