First Person Shooters

MCPony

First Person Shooters

Post by MCPony »

Is it possible to run in a straight line and look to the left and right without changing direction?

Ie swivel the head and body but not the legs.

The function is that whilst im running from A to B i can check my flanks without changing direction
mmed

Re: First Person Shooters

Post by mmed »

We're all waiting for a game to support that.
But you can't do that yet as far as I'm aware of.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Actually you can do this in World War II Online, right now. It's somewhat similar to games like BattleField, except more focused on acurately simulating the terrain of all of europe and such.

there are videos here :
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03- ... nline.html
(rugen's)

and my experience in the game definitely showed that looking around while running in a straight line was one of the bigger benefits. because i could sprint across a clearing at the fastest possible rate, while still looking around to try and spot the sniper that was shooting at me. It may not sound earth shaking, but it was definitely useful.

We've also done some experiments in Half-Life 2 mods to show off TrackIR usage, but the fast pace of this game makes separate view control less essential. Still, I'm hoping we can get this up as at least a technical demo before the end of the year.

more on FPS later...
Strango

Post by Strango »

Operation Flashpoint allowed you to look one direction and move in another.

They have a sequel due out Q4 of this year called Armed Assault. Have you guys been talking with them about adding in TrackIR support?

Here is the official website for the game:
http://www.armedassault.com/
Bran

Post by Bran »

Hey Strango,

you are absolutely right. How could I forget Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault (alias Operation Flashpoint 2?) in my wishlist .
These are the games which probably would benefit the most from a TiR support! Well, I should never forget to always mention Battlefield 2 though .

They have excessive driving and flying elements. Helicopters, boats, jets, trucks, tanks etc etc...
And of course the FPS part (at least within OP Flashpoints), which use a mouselook option. You can either configure a key to use mouselook or/and you can use a 9-way keypad option to look in 9 different directions.

So I would always prefer TiR support in a "tactical" or simulation FPS than in any action shooters like, well let's say for e.g. Doom3, FEAR, Half-Life2, Unreal Tournament etc... where any seconds of hesitation (to look around hehe) will get you fragged instead of you doing the frag.
....and no, action-bunny-hoppers are not the best BF2 players. So BF2 has turned away from pure action to a somehow "more tactical" game, and I am thankfull for that .
mmed

Post by mmed »

Actually it�s not Operation Flashpoint 2. It�s just a remake of the already released game and addons with better graphic and added content.

http://www.bistudio.com/games/of2.html
That's the real follow up and is exptected to be released late 2006.

I really hope there will be track-Ir support for both games.
rodom

Post by rodom »

Thanks for the link mmed! I'll be checking this out myself.
Strango

Post by Strango »

It's more than a remake. Yes the first game is included, but a new campaign will be present as well.

There will also be numerous changes to the game engine.
TBKuehn

Post by TBKuehn »

This is a great thread, and it answered some questions for me. I've been looking at NaturalPoint for my wife, so I was hoping somebody could confirm something for me.

Due to a spinal injury, she has no use of her left hand. She has total use of her right hand. She (like me) enjoys FPS, games like Call of Duty and Half-Life2. Currently, she uses the mouse for fine aiming, and moves her hand between the keyboard and the mouse. This is not ideal, usually we turn on God Mode or a similar setting so she doesn't get killed. This really ticks her off, because unlike me, she hates to cheat at video games.

Which product would be best for her to be able to control the aiming of a FPS in the game, and then use the keyboard for movement, shooting and other selection? The impression I have is that with one of the NaturalPoint products, she'd be able to play just like using a conventional mouse/keyboard setup. Did anybody have a signifigant learning curve, or was it pretty straight forward? Do most games support the mouse emulator mode with little to no tweaking? Please let me know, she's tough to shop for, and with Christmas coming up, I think this might be the ticket. Thanks in advance.
Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock »

Tim,

I think that you might consider looking at the SmartNAV - this can used even in desktop, so that your wife could move the cursor with the head and use the keyboard with the right hand.

As for FPS, is your wife able to use her feet? Maybe a good combination would be a mouse and a dancing mat? These usually have nine or eleven areas which can be used as keys with your feet. You can assign them to the game or reprogram with the proprietary software (if it is supported by the given model) or with other software, such as AutoHotKey.