Problem using NatNetML

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
bfisk

Problem using NatNetML

Post by bfisk »

Hi. I am having trouble loading an old project using the NatNetML.dll on a new machine. I figured that there is something wrong with the VC runtime on the new machine, although im not sure what. The sample project shipped with NatNet (WinFormsSample) also crashes on any machine I've tried it on.
I found this old post on the forum where someone seems to have the same problem, although it does not give me a solution.

Anyone has any idea what i am missing? I am using win7, 64 bit and visual studio 2010.

Here is a dump of the error i get when i try to access NatNetML:

Code: Select all

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'NatNetML,
 Version=2.2.4217.16731, Culture=neutral,
 PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
 The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
 configuration is incorrect.
 Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.
 (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
File name: 'NatNetML, Version=2.2.4217.16731, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' --->
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException(0x800736B1):

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
 configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event
 log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more
 detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

at NatNetTest.Program.Main(String[] args)
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Problem using NatNetML

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Check for the appropriate x86 and x64 (if applicable) VC 2005 runtimes. Also, make sure you have the runtimes with the ATL update.
bfisk

Post by bfisk »

Thanks for the answer.

I removed all versions of VC 2005 from the computer and installed the VC 2005 runtime (sp1 and ATK)from this link but it does not solve the problem. I also ran the installer shipped with NatNet in the sample folder, without luck.
The version of vc 2005 it installs is 8.0.59193.

I am unfamiliar with how theese runtime libaries work but the link i posted in the previous post suggests that i need 8.0.50727.4053? Is this still true, and in that case how do i install it when i have the new version?
bfisk

Post by bfisk »

Okay. After much trial and error (and a few windows restore points used) i found out that Microsoft has a nasty habbit of not displaying any errors when trying to install the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package directly.
The installer seemed to install fine when in fact it was just ignored by the system.

The solution was to do windows update --> reboot --> windows update until everyting was up to date (i had a fresh install of windows) and THEN installing the vcredist_x86.exe from the NatNet/VCRedist/Samples folder.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Glad to hear it was resolved!