How can I get TrackIR3 to work under Windows 7 64-bit?

heloego

Re: How can I get TrackIR3 to work under Windows 7 64-bit?

Post by heloego »

Update:

OK, here goes...
Note: My unit is the original TIR3, not the Pro.

1. Verified the TIR3 unit ( s/n 009863 ) works by moving it to my XP 32-bit machine and installing the v3.13 software and performing a functional check. Worked like a charm. Installing the v3 to the W7 machine notably would not install any driver files.
2. On W7 64-bit machine verified no trace of the v4.1.038final or any other version of TIR software exists either in system or registry files. Used CCleaner and Smart Defrag 2 to clean up and optimize the system.
3. With TIR unit disconnected from machine I installed the v4.1.038final software to the Default (x86) directory. Verified the driver files "npusbio.inf" and "npusbio.sys", and "npusbio_x64.inf" and "npusbio.sys" are present.
4. Re-booted machine. Connected the TIR3 unit. Nothing.
5. Checked Device Manager and noted "Naturalpoint Devices>Naturalpoint Track IR 5" now listed. Go figure. Still no notification from W7 that drivers have been installed.
6. Double-Clicked the Desktop Icon. Got a swirling arrow for a secondm then nothing. Checked Task Manager to see what was happening and noted the process running was TrackIR.exe*32! (Does that mean it's runing a 32-bit .exe? Might explain why nothings working!) Ended process.
7. After multiple attempts was able to get driver manually installed, though first W7 told me a) it may not work and could cause instability in the system, then b) the driver installed successfully.
8. Still no joy. Won't even light up.

I went through all the steps above multiple times using the "v4.1.038final" and "v4.xx.xxx9348" (thoughtfully provided by a USER in the Naturalpoint Forums ) with only one notable difference between the install...the ".9348" version actually allowed W7 to notify me of new hardware. Otherwise, nada, same nothing all over again.

Why this has worked for others, but not me is a mystery.

At this point it looks like I have a few options, none particularly desirable:
1. Grovel and beg the missus to graciously allow me to purchase a newer TIR, or
2. Dump W7 64-bit and go retro with XP pro 32 (would have to find it first), or
3. Dump W7 64-bit and get a copy of W7 Home Premium 32-bit.

Unless someone has another, less expensive suggestion. :)
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Try doing a complete removal of all TrackIR software, including uninstalling the device in device manager.

After doing this, reboot, and download the latest version of the TrackIR software. Do not run the software from the website, just save it.
Navigate to the installer, right click on it, and select "Run as administrator" (even if your account is an administrator, this step is important)
Continue the installation as normal, plug in the camera, and verify the drivers.

Test.
SpectroPro

Post by SpectroPro »

I too, cannot get TrackIR 3 to work with windows 7 64 bit. Finally get a computer that will allow me to use this with FSX and FSX run like it should....and I cannot install.

I have downloaded EVERY version of the software, and can't get past the installer. At first, when I try to run one, it gives an error that the program can't run because of incorrect arguments. Yes, I am full admin of this computer, and yes, I even tried to run this in safe mode.

THEN, if I try to run the installer a second time, it tells me there is an error extracting support files: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

WEll, WHAT file is it that can't be accessed, and what is the process using it? I have watched, via file monitor, what is going on, and I have no clue what file can't be accessed...and the only way to get rid of this message is to reboot the computer.

So, while everything may work fine, the extraction simply won't work.. Can someone please point me to a simple RAR file??? I can't even get to the stupid installer because nothing will extract.

And this isn't my first rodeo.... I have turned off virus protection, started in safe mode, shut off ALL programs that were running and all services that are not essential to win7 operations.. Same 2 errors. And I run it as Administrator. (tried as and just normal)

Like others, my TrackIR 3 has sat in a box in my dresser for years. What a waste of a great deal of money!!!! And yeah, this is my second TrackIR... NO WAY will I upgrade to a new one until I use this one for at least a year to get my money out of it.. And if that just can't happen....then I lived without it this long....

Thanks for any help....

Greg

Running:

Win 7 64 bit home premium
8 gigs memory
Intel i7-2600k
TrackIR 3 (pro if I remember correctly: Serial: 34452)
NaturalPoint - Mike

To be fair, even if your account is a full administrator, it's not *The administrator*. Windows 7 treats administrator accounts and the built-in local administrator account very much differently.

The built-in local administrator account is actually disabled in windows 7 by default, and must be manually enabled before it can be used. This is the only account that has the permissions that are classically associated with "being an administrator" on a local machine in windows 7.

If you would like a compressed TrackIR directory for manual installation, please contact support@naturalpoint.com and we can provide you with a download link.
oyaji

Post by oyaji »

Welp - it has been a year now, and still NO SATISFACTION.

Is there a representative for me for me to contact directly outside these forums?

Thanks in advance for any assistance forthcoming.
NaturalPoint - Mike

By all means. You can reach us at support@naturalpoint.com. Please link to this thread, and I will see if we can get a compressed directory for installation for you. Additionally, we can arrange remote desktop troubleshooting if you would like.