Track IR 5 working in battlefield 3

sondrol77

Track IR 5 working in battlefield 3

Post by sondrol77 »

I am thinking about byuing track IR 5 for use with battlefield 3.

Battlefield 3 has ingame support for looking around in cocpit by means of mouse. Does anyone know if Track IR can simulate this? Will it work in BF3?

I havent seen any vids on youtube etc, and cant seem to find a thread discussing this here.
Seth Steiling

Re: Track IR 5 working in battlefield 3

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=snd77]I am thinking about byuing track IR 5 for use with battlefield 3.

Battlefield 3 has ingame support for looking around in cocpit by means of mouse. Does anyone know if Track IR can simulate this? Will it work in BF3?

I havent seen any vids on youtube etc, and cant seem to find a thread discussing this here.[/quote]
BF3 does not contain official support. It should be possible to map TrackIR to the in-cockpit freelook ability that you mention using TrackIR's mouse emulation utility, but if it is, you'll deal with the same restriction as you would with a mouse--you cannot control the vehicle during freelook.

If you would like official, fully featured TrackIR support in BF3, contact DICE and let them know. :)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
sondrol77

Post by sondrol77 »

Thanks for the reply Seth.

I was afraid that you would have that restriction, as in not beeing able to control the vehicle during freelook.

The thing though, is that i have seen a youtube video from battlefield 2, were a guy was able to use freelook and control the vehicle at the same time...... This was achieved by FreeTrack though, but battlefield 2 had the same restriction with mouse look, and not beeing able to control vehicle..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEnD0jitcII

If track IR cant do it, are there any other applications/hardware that would let you control the vehicle and freelook at the same time? Ir will this always be impossible due to restrictions from DICE?

BTW! You should have an link to a already prepared petition to DICE so we could just sign it and proclaim our wish for trackIR support :)
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

The restriction is in the engine, so everybody is subject to it. This was the case in BF2 as well. The video you're referencing was likely achieved through a memory-level hack. We achieved the same thing many years ago. The problem is, Punkbuster won't allow it in online play, so its usefulness in the BF world is limited.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
RiGo

Post by RiGo »

I'm dying to see support of Track IR in BF3. I realise it's up to EA/DICE, but please guys, you need to lobby them hard!

Think of all the extra sales you will get from adding this title to your list of compatible games.

Please lobby them hard!!
Mordecai Walfish

Post by Mordecai Walfish »

I too would like to purchase a TrackIR for use in Battlefield 3 (amongst other things).

As for the question about control limitations in the game, you actually can get around the need to hold a button to free-look, and be able to independently control flight and head movement, which seems the limiting factor here for using the trackIR in it.

There is a program called "Battlefield 3 Settings Editor" that I use to fine-tune my setup. With the program I have successfully got working free head movement while controlling helis and jets in the game, by use of the hat switch. This is not an optimal setup as the hat switch is digital, and 'snaps' back into centered view when you release a direction.. and good motion would require analog tracking. But I assume you could, with this program, (theres a setting for it) always have mouse control moving your view for the cockpit of helis and jets while using a joystick/throttle to control them.

If TrackIR has good support for mapping mouse control to it, then I believe this would work properly.

Anyone here that owns a TrackIR willing to put that to the test?

The Battlefield 3 settings editor automatically makes a backup of your current config when you start the program for the first time, so no worries about FUBAR'ing your setup.

Thanks!
-Mordecai
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Fortunately, I happen to have access to a TrackIR or two, and a copy of BF3 on the office PC. Let's see what we can do.
Mordecai Walfish

Post by Mordecai Walfish »

Awesome! I look forward to seeing whether this is possible for TrackIR owners.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Also keep in mind that while in the program it's not enough to just tick the box that says "heli mouse" or "jet mouse". You also have to bind the freelook settings to the appropriate controls and then make sure the boxes are still ticked for "heli mouse" and "jet mouse" and save your settings. This is how it worked for the flight stick hat switch, anyway.
cwcooper

Post by cwcooper »

I currently have a trackir 5 and would love to see it work for battlefield 3.
cwcooper

Post by cwcooper »

I currently have a trackir 5 and would love to see it work for battlefield 3.